Nice PR, eh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice PR, eh?

An Air Canada flight, Vancouver-> Hawaii on Christmas Eve, turned back at around the halfway point with a "hydraulic indication". Pax were compensated with a $10 food voucher...https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/air-ca...hers-1.4230537
    Last edited by Ralph Jones; 12-25-2018, 09:45.

What kind of meal can you buy for $10? A Big Mac, fries and a coke? After 15 hours? A real incentive to fly Air Canada again.

Comment

An interesting question. If I were on that flight, I'd probably be going on vacation. That might mean scheduled days off work. Hotel reservations. Car reservation. Airfare, of course. Let's say I got the "trip insurance" available on the airline web site. How much of my expenditure would likely be covered? I'd guess not very much.

Comment

The airlines had record profits; yet, seem to be squeezing passengers more and more. At some point, something’s gotta give. (Feel sorry for crews that must deal with this.)

Comment

The passengers were expected to leave Vancouver on a new Maui-bound flight at 7:30 p.m. PST, putting them in Hawaii about 15 hours after the original flight left.
          It appears that it means that they arrived around midnight instead of the expected 1:30 PM. Normally not too bad, but in this case, effectively missing Christmas Eve in Hawaii. (And really tired.)

Comment

What do you suppose you can get for $10 dollars here?

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Alfes View Post
              What do you suppose you can get for $10 dollars here?
              Engines Turn Or Passengers Shemya.

One wonders if they shut one down and how long.
              Last edited by B.Butler; 12-25-2018, 16:11.

Comment

Originally posted by B.Butler View Post
                shut one down and how long.
                BTDT. ETP back. Get's sorta lonesome out there.

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Alfes View Post
                  alaskan-island
                  Northwest used to have a scheduled crew layover at Shemya. Some of those former NWA crews can probably tell some really interesting stories about those days on the route to Tokyo. I can recall one about when NWA installed a GCA unit there.

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
                    The airlines had record profits; yet, seem to be squeezing passengers more and more. At some point, something’s gotta give. (Feel sorry for crews that must deal with this.)
                    The $10 was likely just to defray the cost of getting something to eat while waiting for the flight to re-depart. Compensation for the diversion and delay would come later and be much more--at least on a US airline it would be.

Comment

Thanks Larry. The news always seems to post the most controversial instance.

Comment

[QUOTE The news always seems to post the most controversial instance.[/QUOTE]

Chuckle, "NS,L".

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post

nstalled a GCA unit there
                          Boyer-Gilfillen name seems to ring a bell.

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by John O'Shaughnessy [FCM] View Post
                            An interesting question. If I were on that flight, I'd probably be going on vacation. That might mean scheduled days off work. Hotel reservations. Car reservation. Airfare, of course. Let's say I got the "trip insurance" available on the airline web site. How much of my expenditure would likely be covered? I'd guess not very much.
                            If you got trip insurance, all of that would have been covered. Including hotel back in Vancouver for the delayed flight. There may have be some limits.

The company I insure my personal travel through (mainly for medical and med evac coverage), covers:

Travel Delay - $200 per day, up to $1000, after 12 hours
                            Missed connection - $500 after 6 hours
                            Change fee - $250

If you cover the cost of the trip (I typically don't) they cover up to 150% of the trip cost for a trip interruption. If your trip gets canceled, for a covered reason, they cover 100% of the trip costs, up to $50,000. You can purchase Cancel for Any Reason, and it covers 75% of the trip cost. The price of the insurance goes up with the amount of trip cost coverage you purchase.

There is a next higher level that doubles the above limits.

Medical is $100,000 (my health care plan also covers me outside the US). Medical evac is $1,000,000. Non-medical evac is $125,000

This coverage costs be $32 per trip, with $0 trip cost coverage. This is through Travel Insured, but via USAA, so a better rate and coverage that directly with Travel Insured.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry sreyoB View Post
                              The $10 was likely just to defray the cost of getting something to eat while waiting for the flight to re-depart. Compensation for the diversion and delay would come later and be much more--at least on a US airline it would be.
                              What kind of compensation would they get? They didn't overnight anywhere unexpected. They just arrived late. Presumably they still got the car and stayed at the hotel the initially planned on. What they really lost out on was some daylight and an evening in Hawaii. What makes it bad in this case is the lost time was Christmas Eve.

Comment

Working...
                              X