Stealing avgas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealing avgas

There appears to be a crook lurking around my airport. Last time I flew the plane I filled the tanks. (19 gals per side.) There was talk on the ramp that fuel was disappearing so I decided to check the tanks on my plane. 9 gallons on one, 10 on the other. Way too much to be gone without human intervention. No noted leaks under or around the plane.

What I'm interested in getting is one of those outdoor motion detecting cameras. There are loads of them for sale online, but will they work without being plugged into a power source? Does anyone have any experience with that type camera? TIA

Originally posted by Tina Gonsalves View Post
    There appears to be a crook lurking around my airport. Last time I flew the plane I filled the tanks. (19 gals per side.) There was talk on the ramp that fuel was disappearing so I decided to check the tanks on my plane. 9 gallons on one, 10 on the other. Way too much to be gone without human intervention. No noted leaks under or around the plane.

What I'm interested in getting is one of those outdoor motion detecting cameras. There are loads of them for sale online, but will they work without being plugged into a power source? Does anyone have any experience with that type camera? TIA
    Trail cams work on batteries, at least most do. How ya goin' to get 120V out in the woods, anyhow? <G>

This one, for example, uses 8 lithium AA batteries. https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...2.uts?slotId=0 As you say, 100s are available and you'd likely want one with IR capability. I used one last summer to try to scope out a bear coming round to camp.

Why do you think a thief would balance out the theft, as opposed to just draining one of your tanks?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
      Why do you think a thief would balance out the theft, as opposed to just draining one of your tanks?
      To reduce the chance that the theft will be noticed quickly?

If the tanks are balanced, the owner would have to remember the previous fuel level. If the fuel is way out of balance it would draw immediate attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry sreyoB View Post
        To reduce the chance that the theft will be noticed quickly?

If the tanks are balanced, the owner would have to remember the previous fuel level. If the fuel is way out of balance it would draw immediate attention.

Sure seems like a lot of time and trouble for a thief who would be easily detected siphoning......doubles the number of tanks to drain.

Comment

Well, not that I'm implicating anyone.... but there is an unemployed pilot who lives in a camper very close to my airplane.........

Comment

Sure seems like a lot of time and trouble for a thief who would be easily detected siphoning......doubles the number of tanks to drain.
            Maybe not. Depends on the fuel system. If the fuel tank selector has a "both" positioin and is left that way, ala a 172, or "perrmanent both" like a 150, the tanks would equalize after a while, no matter what was taken out.
            Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Working...
            X