Garmin Acquires fltplan.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Acquires fltplan.com

Here's the press release: https://newsroom.garmin.com/press-re...lanning-and-se

I've been a fltplan.com user for years and have been very happy. I hope this isn't like CMI acquiring ECI, and then scrapping the ECI cylinder valves which were superior (no pun intended) to CMI's product. We'll see. The fltplan.com apps are decent bare-bones but totally free competitors to Foreflight and Garmin Pilot.

I received an email announcement from them today. Agree, hope the quality remains.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
      I received an email announcement from them today. Agree, hope the quality remains.
      Dave -- I think the real question is cost (i.e., the probably demise of the free fltplan.com model).

Comment

Taking free stuff from pilots is unAmerican!
        Pilots may be United after this!

Comment

How did fltplan.com make enough money to stay in business? I'm curious about the business model.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
            How did fltplan.com make enough money to stay in business? I'm curious about the business model.
            Ads and paid premium services.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post

Ads and paid premium services.
              I wonder how well that was paying the bills.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post

I wonder how well that was paying the bills.
                By all accounts, well. But the days of their relatively spartan interface and feature set were becoming numbered, with a Boeing/Foreflight venture and the GP app becoming better integrated with the Garmin avionics. The others were also catching up with flightplan.com's historically strong a/c performance integration in which it was a pioneer.

Comment

Working...
                X