Using EarBuds with an aviation handheld?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right, it's not the splitter. I still get the whine when plugging the 4 pole Apple ear buds directly into the 3 pole adapter. I had not realized this before because doing so cuts out all audio, as if I was transmitting. But I have since learned that holding down the center button on Apple's mic restores the audio for some reason. So I need a miniature vise grips for that button. :-) In any case, I'm getting closer, and will follow up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Horak View Post
      But I have since learned that holding down the center button on Apple's mic restores the audio for some reason.
      Maybe this helps explain it: 3.5 mm Headset: Accessory Specification. Granted, this is Android and you're Apple, but I'm sure it's close enough.

I think what's happening (the headset works when the button is pressed) is the 3-wire ground is getting applied to the "mic" section of the 4-wire earbud. Holding down the switch puts a resistor between the radio's ground and the headset common. (If that button is a mute button, then it may short the mic out.)

As for the whine, I'm leaning toward the idea of adding a resistor between the audio and ground to give a lower impedance load to the radio. If you make your own adapter, it would be easy to add a 1/4W resistor inside the plug.
      Last edited by Russell Holton; 10-25-2018, 19:53.

Comment

Thank you for that reference. I have a set of Samsung 3.5mm 4 pole ear buds, and they so not require holding down a button to hear the audio (and the whine). But seeing the spec provides ideas on what Apple is doing, and I think you're onto it. In any case, I have another adapter that I believe already incorporates some additional "input resistance" and I am going to experiment with that this weekend.

Comment

The "another adapter" I have is Sporty's own adapter that permits a standard aviation headset to connect to the SP-400 with a 1/4" plug. Since no whine is heard in my aviation headsets through that adapter I figured that maybe some resistance had been built into it. However, after I found another adapter to convert the 1/4" female plug of Sporty's adapter to 3.5mm, the whine was still there in the ear buds. So it seems clear to me that Sporty's adapter is just a pass through (and mono at that), and that the whine is suppressed by the normal impedance of aviation headsets. It looks like I need to do what you all have been suggesting (or ignore the whine).

Comment

FYI, I arrived at a decent solution using a combination of two adapters: 1) a 2.5mm mono to 3.5mm stereo adapter, and 2) a 3.5mm passthru adapter that adds 220 ohms resistance (er, impedence). The two adapters are only $5 and $8 respectively.

With this setup, the whine is gone, and the mic/controls on 4-pole earbuds from Apple and Samsung are successfully ignored. You would be using the SP-400's builtin mic to transmit.

The 2.5mm adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HM3PUS/

The 3.5mm adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FM8GJL4/

There is an 80 ohm version of the 3.5mm adapter available at the latter link, but I could still (barely) hear the whine with that one.
            Last edited by Mark Horak; 11-17-2018, 15:07.

Comment

Based on your description, I'm guessing the resistor is in series with the headset to lessen the sensitivity. Otherwise, I'd think the 80 ohm would work better.

Comment

Would you mind explaining the scenario you are envisioning where 80 ohms might work better? I still have a long way to go in understanding audio technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Horak View Post
                  Would you mind explaining the scenario you are envisioning where 80 ohms might work better? I still have a long way to go in understanding audio technology.
                  There's two ways a single resistor might be added to the circuit: In parallel with the earphone (to add loading to the phone's output), or in series with the earphone (to reduce sensitivity of the earphone). If in parallel, a lower resistance would increase loading. In series, a lower resistor would be decrease the amount of sensitivity reduction.

Comment

Working...
                  X