GPS Rollover??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Rollover??

Has any one been alerted to a potential Y2K.2.0 on April 6th? There's a buzz on nautical sites regarding a reset that occurs every 1024 weeks which is set for the above date.

Sounds like any unit produced since the last event in 1999 is uneffected, but there is some uncertainty.

Yeah, the Garmin units are compliant and shouldn't be affected (aviation anyway); Avidyne is requiting a mandatory s/w update in order to survive the event. Hard to believe that Avidyne didn't see this coming; I remember the last one.

Comment

I no longer have any aviation assets, but I suspect my much-loved GX60s might not have survived.

On the boat my GPS source is in my nearly new AIS , but I do have a little, old Garmin on the bridge which serves primarily as a GS indicator. Should be interesting to see how it reacts.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
        Hard to believe that Avidyne didn't see this coming; I remember the last one.
        You would think... In 1999 I started a new job for a 3 year old tech company. Code written from scratch (just a web site) was written to only display two digit years. Unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by John O'Shaughnessy [FCM] View Post

You would think... In 1999 I started a new job for a 3 year old tech company. Code written from scratch (just a web site) was written to only display two digit years. Unbelievable.

Oy!

Comment

Originally posted by B.Butler View Post
            I no longer have any aviation assets, but I suspect my much-loved GX60s might not have survived.

On the boat my GPS source is in my nearly new AIS , but I do have a little, old Garmin on the bridge which serves primarily as a GS indicator. Should be interesting to see how it reacts.
            Bill -- Garmin was talking about their currently supported aviation units. Let us know how the little old Garmin does!

Comment

It's kind of wearying that this is still an issue. GPS was first deployed back around 1978. This is the second rollover, and it's been a known thing since about 1989. The impact was thoroughly documented when the first rollover occurred, 19.7 years ago.

Pure laziness, of one kind or another.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130225...gps/gpseow.htm

Comment

Working...
              X