Grand Rapids Approach Signs Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Rapids Approach Signs Off

Grand Rapids Approach made its final transmission when it closed on Tuesday- as did Muskegon Approach an hour earlier. The two approaches are now sectors in Great Lakes Approach, located in Kalamazoo. This consolidation continues on June 12 when Flint, Lansing, and Saginaw approaches also move to AZO. Once completed, Michigan will have just two FAA approach controls - the busy one in Detroit and the big one in Kalamazoo.

This project has been discussed in one form or another for 30 years; it's hard to believe it's finally happening.

Originally posted by Todd Alfes View Post
    been discussed in one form or another for 30 years; it's hard to believe it's finally happening.
    Chuckle, can recall the many instrument approaches we shot while talking to them at North Central and then Northwest - so nany years ago!

best, randy

Comment

Interesting. I'd expect we'll see more of it around the country. Unlike the towers, it is hard to make the argument that you have to look out the windows. And -- I know they are working on remote tower projects too.

The world really turned upside down once salaries and benefits started to greatly outweigh cost of equipment, etc.

Comment

How long before it's "Alexa, Flight 123 requests landing"?

Comment

Originally posted by John O'Shaughnessy [FCM] View Post
          Interesting. I'd expect we'll see more of it around the country. Unlike the towers, it is hard to make the argument that you have to look out the windows. And -- I know they are working on remote tower projects too.

The world really turned upside down once salaries and benefits started to greatly outweigh cost of equipment, etc.
          I remember an approach controller telling a pilot that "it's always IFR in here."
          I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
          48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

NATCA has milking these consolidations down to a fine art. I'll bet everyone now under the roof at AZO got a raise even though they're working exactly the same traffic they were before.

Comment

I'll bet everyone now under the roof at AZO got a raise
              The ATM, staffers, sups, and Tech Ops would all like to take you up on your bet.

..they're working exactly the same traffic they were before.
              2018 TRACON traffic counts:

GRR 104,553
              LAN 86,629
              AZO 72,729
              FNT 50,005
              MBS 44,904
              MKG 44,180

There are two areas in the TRACON, but everybody has to work the GRR sectors. As a result, FNT, MBS, and MKG controllers will all be working over twice the traffic they're accustomed to.

Comment

Wow - FAA finally figured out how to do a consolidation without paying more for the same service? I think the "new" AZO was supposed to be ATC-8? What were the the others before the consolidation?

Comment

Welcome back, Scott!

Comment

Been busy! I need to pop in here more often. Are you still doing that HPN-RDU-HPN trip at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Alfes View Post
                      MBS
                      Chuckle, guess no wonder that we always called it "mumbles".

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by SJ Dunham View Post
                        Been busy! I need to pop in here more often. Are you still doing that HPN-RDU-HPN trip at all?
                        Scott - Haven't done that trip in a while, I've been pretty busy. I'll need to check the schedule to see if there's one coming up anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                        X