Macrium Softwar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macrium Softwar

Has anyone tried Macrium Software's disk clone software. The basic is reasonably priced at "free". This is the link to the free version.
    Last edited by Bill Bridges; 06-03-2019, 13:46.
    I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
    48th AHC 1971-72

No. But I have been using Clonezilla. It's also reasonable priced, but it has an interface that's rather intimidating.

My primary use is not to copy drive to drive, but make a backup image file that can later be restored to a drive. (Imaging a computer from a master image.) But I'm sure it could probably do direct drive-to-drive as well. With 4T external drives quite affordable, you can keep multiple backup copies on the one drive.

A 50GB image loads/saves in about 20 minutes over USB 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
      No. But I have been using Clonezilla. It's also reasonable priced, but it has an interface that's rather intimidating.

My primary use is not to copy drive to drive, but make a backup image file that can later be restored to a drive. (Imaging a computer from a master image.) But I'm sure it could probably do direct drive-to-drive as well. With 4T external drives quite affordable, you can keep multiple backup copies on the one drive.

A 50GB image loads/saves in about 20 minutes over USB 3.
      I am just going to use it as a backup for my computers. I bought 8TB WD for $140.00.

Do you recommend just making as image of each drive on a regular basis?
      I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
      48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Clonezilla will do that just fine (once you get past the interface - but there is a command line that could speed that along). What it won't do is incremental backups. And restore is all or nothing.

It's a good choice to quickly restore a machine. I use it a lot in testing and development. But personal use I'd use another solution for general backup just so I could have fast (incremental) backups and be able to recover a file or two without doing a full restore.

Comment

I clone system drives with "Driveimage XML" (free for personal use). It makes restoring systems much faster than reinstalling, and it has an XML database which serves as a directory, so individual files can be picked out.

I keep installed software on system drives, and my data on other drives or partitions, so the system image is as small as conveniently possible. My data has a daily backup schedule to other machines on the LAN*. The process takes 28 days for a change or deletion to percolate through completely. That protects SWMBO from an OOPS delete she doesn't realize for a while. System images are treated as data directories for backup purposes, though I have two critical system images restored to spare drives on the shelf.

*At one time, I had recommended SimplySafe for cloud storage. I can no longer do so, and am no longer a customer. The site's software had an annoying bug. The Grand Forced Upgrade made that bug worse and introduced another. For me, the value for the money was gone.
          Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Working...
          X