New drive for laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post

Unfortunately, doesn't work on this machine. It is forced right to the encryption logon page. I flash through the BIOS screen with no time to select any option there. Gonna install a new HD, with Win10 on a USB stick to install that.
    Older HP machines I have here use escape or f2 or f10 to get into setup. Timing from power-on is critical. You have maybe a one second window somewhere between power-on and the disk activity light showing it's busy with booting from the hard drive. Sometimes removing the hard drive will get you a BIOS screen from which you can enter setup.
    Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Well, doesn't matter much now...the new SSD arrived today so in it goes.......

Comment

Do I need to format the new ssd using the bios?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
          Do I need to format the new ssd using the bios?
          I don't think so. I'd boot off the install media and go from there. At least that's how I usually do it.

Comment

Good to know, Russell. As long as I can do it from the USB stick for Win10 installation, that's great. I saw no such option in the BIOS screens (yes, I could get there with replacement of the HD to a new one that isn't encrypted...couldn't do it with the original HD). Thanks.

Comment

I know I can't go into the BIOS settings if the computer was coming out of hibernation. Only if I was rebooting. Perhaps that password software was doing something similar to block the options.

Comment

Thanks to all who commented on this thread! Easy to slip in the new SSD, and the installation of the new OS (USB) went very fast and painless. We're up and running....

Comment

Working...
                X