X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Your Computer Run Windows 11

I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
    48th AHC 1971-72

ZDNet: Will your PC run Windows 11? Even Microsoft can't say for sure.

There's also reports that an internet connection and use of a Microsoft Account will be mandatory to use Win11 - or at least to install it.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
      ZDNet: Will your PC run Windows 11? Even Microsoft can't say for sure.

There's also reports that an internet connection and use of a Microsoft Account will be mandatory to use Win11 - or at least to install it.
      I got a cute littile system from Hong Kong recently which gave me my first look at W10.. I had to create a Microsoft account to get the copy validated. That done, I scoured the web for all one has to do to turn off telemetry, Cortana, etc. and did it. Then I replaced the system drive and installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. W10 sits on a shelf should I ever want to see it again, but I have no idea why.

When Firefox and Thuderbird cease to be useful on Windows 7, it's Ubuntu time for me. I already have dual boot and standalone systems configured with Ubuntu Other than a current software development project on Windows, I could cut over tomorrow. I find Ubuntu harder to use, but there's more than two decades' difference in familiarity. Unix command lines are familiar to me, GUI not so much.
      Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
        I got a cute littile system from Hong Kong recently which gave me my first look at W10.. I had to create a Microsoft account to get the copy validated.
        It was certainly "highly encouraged" in Win 10, but if you didn't give it a internet connection during setup, it would allow you to create a local account. Rumor has it that it won't work in 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post

I got a cute littile system from Hong Kong recently which gave me my first look at W10.. I had to create a Microsoft account to get the copy validated. That done, I scoured the web for all one has to do to turn off telemetry, Cortana, etc. and did it. Then I replaced the system drive and installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. W10 sits on a shelf should I ever want to see it again, but I have no idea why.

When Firefox and Thuderbird cease to be useful on Windows 7, it's Ubuntu time for me. I already have dual boot and standalone systems configured with Ubuntu Other than a current software development project on Windows, I could cut over tomorrow. I find Ubuntu harder to use, but there's more than two decades' difference in familiarity. Unix command lines are familiar to me, GUI not so much.
          askwoody.com is good for the fight against the Win 10 MS machine. I'm still on extended support for Win 7. I have a tax program that needs Windows.

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post

It was certainly "highly encouraged" in Win 10, but if you didn't give it a internet connection during setup, it would allow you to create a local account. Rumor has it that it won't work in 11.
          Yeah, the alternative was there, but they did their best to "hide the ball".

Comment

Working...
          X