Can't download in Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't download in Windows 10

The Geek Squad got my email handler installed today (remotely) and email flows into my new computer. So I was able to order MS Word and WordPerfect. When I tried to download their programs, I got a message my security setting won't allow downloading of those files.

When I googled that error message, I got extensive information on dozens of things that must be done. Surely, everyone using Windows 10 has not been forced to do this.

What gives? It's not as simple as throwing a switch in McAfee.

Where are you downloading from? It might not be a legitimate site. What browser are you using? It might be doing something. (Personally, I like Chrome, but I know everyone has their preferences.)

As for McAfee, I wouldn't put anything past it. Of all the AVs I've run across, it's the most likely to get in my way when trying to install things.

Comment

Ward,

I use Windows Defender. It comes with Windows 10. I also use Malwarebytes (paid version). They have a free version that is also very good.
      I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
      48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

After being hooked up with Geek Squad for 3.5 hours, they downloaded and installed MS Office. Said they changed some things in Internet Explorer (!). I'll see if it works when I try to download WordPerfect tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward Miller View Post
          Said they changed some things in Internet Explorer (!).
          They may have changed something in "Internet Options". It's frequently accessed via IE, but it's really part of the OS/Control Panel. I'm sure both IE and Edge pay attention to that. Other browsers may only use some of the settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
            They may have changed something in "Internet Options". It's frequently accessed via IE, but it's really part of the OS/Control Panel. I'm sure both IE and Edge pay attention to that. Other browsers may only use some of the settings.
            I used Edge for a while. It seemed to be OK. I now use Chrome and it seems to be good. To save confusion if it were me and I was starting over I would use MS Edge, Windows Defender, Windows Firewall and Malwarebytes (free) and go on down the road. I haven't used IE in years.

I was grandfathered into Malwarebytes Premium so I don't pay the annual subscription and have the free on my two laptops and my other desktop (game machine). All my machines are Win10-64 running Windows Defender and Firewall, Malwarebytes, and Chrome. As I said earlier I would have no problem using MS Edge. I also use the free version of CCleaner to keep the garbage manageable and run Disk Cleanup (a Windows tool). I use Intel SSDs and run Intel SSD Toolbox.
            I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
            48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Working...
            X