Computer cursor problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer cursor problem

Running Windows 10 on my Lenovo Ideapad 330, Microsoft Edge browser (please don't ask me to change that). Got it last summer and was working fine until recently. No new applications added in many months.

1. I can be browsing in the middle of an online document. Go to another online document. Sometimes when I come back to Document #1 I'm not where I left it. Might even be at the beginning of the Document. It used to work correctly for many months.

2. I use the Space Bar to scroll down. Sometimes when I press the space bar, nothing happens. Sometimes it goes to a different document. It worked correctly before, for many months.

Norton says everything is okay.

Suggestions?

I suggest clearing your cache and setting Edge to always clear the cache whenever you close the browser. In Settings under "Choose what to clear" there is a slider for "Always clear this when I close the browser."

IMHO, browser cache in all browsers has collectively cost more continuing support time than it has ever saved.

Comment

Your problem might be related to another Edge issue where a mouse wheel scroll can magically change into a forward/back button. In the mouse settings, it's called "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them".

So, check where your mouse pointer is when the problem happens. It might explain the "sometimes".

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Horak View Post
        I suggest clearing your cache and setting Edge to always clear the cache whenever you close the browser. In Settings under "Choose what to clear" there is a slider for "Always clear this when I close the browser."

IMHO, browser cache in all browsers has collectively cost more continuing support time than it has ever saved.
        Mark, I don't know what clearing the cache will do. I always have three or more tabs showing of documents or sites I will go back to. I never turn off the computer, but must log on in the morning. I don't think I turn the browser off. I just overlay it with a spreadsheet program, or text editor, for example, when I need them. How will clearing the cache change my activities?

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
          Your problem might be related to another Edge issue where a mouse wheel scroll can magically change into a forward/back button. In the mouse settings, it's called "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them".

So, check where your mouse pointer is when the problem happens. It might explain the "sometimes".
          Thanks, I'll check.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward Miller View Post

Mark, I don't know what clearing the cache will do. I always have three or more tabs showing of documents or sites I will go back to. I never turn off the computer, but must log on in the morning. I don't think I turn the browser off. I just overlay it with a spreadsheet program, or text editor, for example, when I need them. How will clearing the cache change my activities?
            If I read you right, everything you are doing, including editing documents and spreadsheets, is being done in Edge, a browser. Browsers retain (i.e. cache) copies of pages you have already viewed, including all coding, graphics, and data, trying to minimize actual Internet traffic. You can build up thousands of cache files, and the browser can get confused keeping track of it all.

I'm not suggesting you change the way you work, other than 1) configuring Edge where it will clear the cache upon exit, and then 2) periodically exiting Edge altogether so that it can start over with a clean cache. I cannot tell you how many weird problems I have seen resolved this way over the years, with every major browser.

Comment

Mark, when I'm not using the browser on the Internet, I just put it in the background. Then I might bring up the Spreadsheet or MS Word, for example. Then I might put them in the background and bring up another application. Eventually, I'll get back to the browser.

If I empty the Edge cache as you suggest, what will appear different to me?

Comment

The only difference is that pages you previously loaded may take a few seconds longer to load.

A reboot every so often is also helpful. I leave my computers on all the time also. And after a period of time, various weirdness crops up. Restarting the computer fixes all of them.

Comment

Ward: It looks like misread you. When you said you were browsing in the middle of an online document, I figured you meant you were using your browser to do that. But if you are using MS Office to edit docs and spreadsheets then clearing your browser cache will have no effect there. The effect of clearing your cache is as Terry said -- web pages may take a little longer to load the first time. (But certain other problem may be resolved or prevented.)

I agree completely with Terry about the need to reboot Windows regularly.

Comment

Okay, I understand the cache now.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
                      The only difference is that pages you previously loaded may take a few seconds longer to load.

A reboot every so often is also helpful. I leave my computers on all the time also. And after a period of time, various weirdness crops up. Restarting the computer fixes all of them.
                      Yup, that’s me also. I suspect that over time a bit or two gets flipped in the dark nether-regions of my computer and manifest as weirdness of one sort or another. A reboot and all’s well for a week or so.

Regards,
                      Tom Charlton
                      "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Tom, the computer hard-wired to my wireless router is in the basement. It can't be moved because that is where the Cable is. In recent month I've been pretty much confined to my bedroom, two flights above, where I use my laptop. My old laptop crapped out and I bought a new one for $330. Works great, except many days I'd lose the Internet for a few seconds, or up to a couple of minutes. Some days were okay. So I got a Repeater for $22. Plugged it into the AC outlet midway between basement and bedroom. Work right off the bat -- most of the time. The Chinglish instructions weren't much help, so I call their 800 number and got an English speaking young lady. I brought up her program and clicked where she asked me to. Then she asked me to do something on my computer I was not familiar with. "Go to [something] and double-click." We argued back and forth and she thought I was just plain computer-ignorant -- and hung up on me!

In desperation I pressed "Reset" on the Repeater. It's been months now and I've lost the Internet only about once every two months or so. Ain't computer wonderful? <g>

Comment

Working...
                        X