w 7 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post
    You must be running a different Win10-64 than I am. My updates are in the background and I don't know it until I turn the machine off in the evening and then it asks about restarting after the update.
    I've had it jump in if I've left the machine idle for awhile. They did say they were going to be better about that, but that was recently. I do know I've been caught wanting to fire up the machine to check something quickly and then getting stuck watching updates.

As far as complexity the flight sim program I run and the supporting programs will push any operating system and equipment to the limit. I would be surprised if you are running anything as complex. I also run FSX (32-bit program) on a Win10-64 without any problems. I'm still running an old version of QBasic on my system also.
    Please note my comments were about hardware, such as printers or scanners. (Generic stuff like keyboards and mice are fine).

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
      I have a number of business apps which will all have to be upgraded if I move to 10. I also have old apps that I've check on and are not compatible with 10.
      You might want to check when support for those programs end. I'll bet they end at the same time as Win7 (if not before). From what I can remember, support for programs that can't run on a supported OS is pretty much non-existent.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post

What's not compatible? I've only seen one computer that wouldn't take it - a "netbook" with a oddball video card. Come next year, I'll probably load up Linux on it. I understand that with Wine, Linux can do a reasonable job of running a number of Windows apps.
        My motherboard is just old enough that Win 10 will not load on it.

It was a mess when they had the free upgrade. I ran their hardware/software compatibility checker, and it said everything was fine. But it would not load. Round and round I went, and finally I called MS tech support, after a few things, they asked what motherboard I had, I told them, and they said that chipset was not supported. Oh well.

I don't remember which chipset, and I am not home to check. I am thinking maybe H61 sounds familiar. It is an i7 2011 pin CPU.

Comment

Is there a way to get a free upgrade? I have a computer that I was not using then, and didn't get upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post

My motherboard is just old enough that Win 10 will not load on it.

It was a mess when they had the free upgrade. I ran their hardware/software compatibility checker, and it said everything was fine. But it would not load. Round and round I went, and finally I called MS tech support, after a few things, they asked what motherboard I had, I told them, and they said that chipset was not supported. Oh well.

I don't remember which chipset, and I am not home to check. I am thinking maybe H61 sounds familiar. It is an i7 2011 pin CPU.
            Terry,

This computer I'm typing this from is an I-5 with and ASUS Z87 MB built in 2012. The upgrade to WIN10-64 went without any problems. I still run QBasic on it.

Grace and Peace,
            I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
            48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hartmann View Post
              Is there a way to get a free upgrade? I have a computer that I was not using then, and didn't get upgraded.
              This article from ZNET seems to indicate that it is still possible to get the free Win10 upgrade.

Grace and Peace,
              48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Terry,

This computer I'm typing this from is an I-5 with and ASUS Z87 MB built in 2012. The upgrade to WIN10-64 went without any problems. I still run QBasic on it.

Grace and Peace,
                OK, now you made me do research.

I have an LGA 1156 socket i7 processor. I think it is in an i7 970 D0 stepping CPU, in either a P55 or H55 chipset. So 2009/2010 time frame.

And it is one chipset earlier than supported by Win 10. Win 10 only goes back to -65/-67 chipsets.

Bottom line is, I need to replace that computer. Previously, I have built most of my machines. But I no longer need the level of machine I would build. But then again, I like having a computer to MY specs.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post

OK, now you made me do research.

I have an LGA 1156 socket i7 processor. I think it is in an i7 970 D0 stepping CPU, in either a P55 or H55 chipset. So 2009/2010 time frame.

And it is one chipset earlier than supported by Win 10. Win 10 only goes back to -65/-67 chipsets.

Bottom line is, I need to replace that computer. Previously, I have built most of my machines. But I no longer need the level of machine I would build. But then again, I like having a computer to MY specs.
                  I buy my business machines from Puget Systems and my gaming computers from Jetline Systems.

I use these folks because they allow some customization. Specifically I prefer Intel processors, Intel SSDs and nVidia video.

Grace and Peace,
                  48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

In contrast, I tend to work with either "cast off" machines that are being retired for their age (5 years), or buying something on-sale at Office Max (I picked up a black Friday special: i3, 4GB, 1TB 17" HP laptop for $399). As you might guess, I'm not a gamer. But I do have a ton of photos.

If someone wants to play with Linux, I'd suggest downloading and burning it to CD, then swap the hard drive and have some fun. Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop gets good reviews. The one problem with Linux is you get a number of options. For example, Mint comes with a choice of 3 different desktops.

Comment

Thanks Bill , I'll try that...

Comment

For me Win 10 is the best operating system that MS has come up with and I've had them all including DOS3.0.
                        "Best" is such a subjective thing. If your criteria for an OS includes opening a massive non-optional bi-directional data pipe between your computer and the vendor, then I can see where Win10 would qualify. But for me, I would prefer an OS than is not pilfering my data and installing un-commanded updates, thank you very much. Win10 defines spyware, on a grand scale.

Comment

Thanks Mark. It's the biggest reason I haven't upgraded and have been receptive to an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Horak View Post
                            "Best" is such a subjective thing. If your criteria for an OS includes opening a massive non-optional bi-directional data pipe between your computer and the vendor, then I can see where Win10 would qualify. But for me, I would prefer an OS than is not pilfering my data and installing un-commanded updates, thank you very much. Win10 defines spyware, on a grand scale.
                            Mr. Horak,

I also like Google and Gmail. ROFL

Grace and Peace,
                            48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

I also like Google and Gmail. ROFL
                              This brings up the overarching computer-related issue of our times.

IMHO, there have been three major epochs in the world's adoption of personal computing. The first epoch began with the emergence of mainstream personal computers. The second commenced with the emergence of the www, and includes the evolution of massively-available broadband access. Living through those two epochs has been a great ride, and most of a career, for me.

But now I think we are into a third epoch where everything is a computer and they are all interconnected and sharing our data to the limits of human creativity, barely constrained by law and ethics. I consider it a new epoch because this sharing has engendered an entirely new world of highly-polarizing concerns for privacy and security.

For an illustration of this polarization, see the attached, from a work friend. It a report based on data auto-uploaded by her 2017 Chevy Cruze, and auto-delivered to her insurance company. My friend is in the camp of folks who love this kind of thing. I am in a different camp that detests it and is doing all I can to thwart it in general, while still retaining my desire to use the latest technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Horak View Post
                                This brings up the overarching computer-related issue of our times.

But now I think we are into a third epoch where everything is a computer and they are all interconnected and sharing our data to the limits of human creativity, barely constrained by law and ethics.

... data auto-uploaded by her 2017 Chevy Cruze, and auto-delivered to her insurance company.
                                My camp is disconnected antenna and dead-shorted coaxial cable. My cars are too old for that garbage, and I have no intent ever to buy another car.

Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Working...
                                X