Flight around the pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight around the pattern

When I log in AVSIG most of the time I just want to read what has been posted since last time and maybe add a comment or two. Occasionally, I want to start a new thread. That's all I want.

With AVSIG III I see the list of new posts, to the right, and soon learned I should start from the BOTTOM of the list, so multi-posts for the same thread would appear in proper order. Problem #1: when I returned to that new list, I must remember which ones I've read and which not. Because the subject for a thread does not appear while you are reading it unless I scroll all the way to its beginning, I find I don't always remember some of what I've read. So I sometimes read a new one more than once and occasionally miss reading a new one. That is asking too much from this user. It should indicate which ones I've read so far this session.

The new list is too narrow, so the title is truncated. Instead of saying "Reply to", why not just have a [space] and {dash}, something like that, to free up a little room for more of the title?

When reading a thread, I notice "Post reply" at upper left and "Write something" at lower left. What's the difference?

While typing this, I find I must pull down one (of TWO) scroll bars to reveal the "Post" button. DUMB!

To log off, I find I must scroll to the top of the screen then somehow I must be smart enough to click on my name before I see a log-off command. DUMBER!

I have no idea what six of the eight subjects are in the blue line across the top of the screen. I probably don't care.

When I Previewed this post, I see I am a Guest? Why? I logged in.

Ward Miller

Here's how I do it:

From the top, I look to see what sections have a blue "cartoon talk balloon". The blue ones indicate "new stuff". Gray ones indicate I've read it already. Note: you must click on the title, not the icon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AvsigIIIsection.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	685

When I go into a section, I look for threads that have a round, blue down arrow just to the right of the icon. That signifies what threads have new stuff. Click on that icon (not the title), and you're taken to the first new post in that thread.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AvsigIIIthread.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	684

When done with the thread, go back to the section. When done with the section, go back to the top-level page.

Not as nice as a "unread" list, but it does the job. It also works on a number of forums. The icons and colors are different, but the idea is the same.

Comment

For all web forums, I open new tabs each time I click a link to go deeper into the Forum -> Section -> Thread hierarchy. When I finish reading a thread I close that tab and am back at the section list. When I finish reading a section I close that tab and am back at the forum level.

To open the new tab I hold <CTRL> while I click the link.

To close a tab I use <CTRL><W>.

If I forget which sections on the forum tab, or which thread on the Section tab, I just press <F5> to refresh. The new message indicators, that Russell described above, will disappear on the sections and threads that I have read.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post

Not as nice as a "unread" list, but it does the job. It also works on a number of forums. The icons and colors are different, but the idea is the same.
        That's really helpful, Russell. Thanks.

Comment

On my Android tablet in landscape, I found that if I hover just below the "Register" in the menu bar, I get a "Recent Posts" pop-up that takes me to a list of unread posts. When I'm done with one topic, I go back to the pop-up and select the next one. There is an icon next to each one so you can see which ones you've read. It's an Android, so your mileage may vary.
          Last edited by Bruce Gorrell; 01-04-2018, 19:39.

Comment

The way I deal with it is to log on, then work the "New since last visit" from the bottom up. For each I want to see, I right click and "open link in new tab" from the context menu. That lets me see new threads from the top. For existing threads, I click only on the first (from the bottom) "reply to ..." so I see that reply and all below it. I read the leftmost tab first and close it when I'm done reading and, perhaps, replying. When I get back to the main menu tab (only one remaining), I log out.
            Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Also, Write Something at the lower left, is the box to type a general reply. Then the Post Reply at the lower right, actually posts what you wrote.

The Post Reply at the top left, just takes you the the area at the bottom of the page to post a reply. So you don't have to wear out your scroll wheel.

If you want to say something based on a specific post, use the Quote button at the lower right of that message. It takes you the Write Something box, but inserts the text from the message inside of QUOTE markups, at the top. You write below that.

And if you only want to mention part of what the person said, you can edit the quoted portion. So you can remove extraneous wording. Or highlight certain parts.

Most forums work on the Highlight of sections with new posts, then Highlights of threads with new posts, as mentioned above. Once you get used to it, it is very easy to find the new posts. And clicking on the icon next to the thread title, takes you to the first new post in that thread, and you can read from there.

Easy peasy. Just new to AVSIGgers.

Comment

Still struggling on here a bit. If I just press on New Posts does that show all since my last visit, or do I have to click through individual topics like some have said they do? How do I post a pic in my profile?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
                  Still struggling on here a bit. If I just press on New Posts does that show all since my last visit, or do I have to click through individual topics like some have said they do? How do I post a pic in my profile?
                  Dave: New posts since your last visit will appear in the upper-right forum column. You can also see a list of new posts from a 24-hour period by clicking the "Recent Posts" link in the header bar.

To get your pic in your profile, click on your name ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	dave.png Views:	1 Size:	96.0 KB ID:	870

... and select "My Profile." Then click the cartoon of the blank face ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	dave2.png Views:	1 Size:	47.9 KB ID:	871

and follow the dialogue box to upload your photo.

Comment

On my I-phone I don’t see those choices on the top: just Notifications, Messages and my name. I’ll try loading a pic. Thx

Comment

Working...
                    X