Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry Carraway
    replied
    This is the one I was issued in the USAF and when it was lost in the crash, I picked up a replacement from eBay.

https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...ates-air-force

Another site says 4" wide and 7.5" long, in the case.

Leave a comment:

• Randy Sohn
    replied
    Originally posted by Larry sreyoB View Post
    Fits in a shirt pocket
    Concur, (priority)

best, randy

Leave a comment:

• Larry sreyoB
    replied
    Originally posted by A. Niemyer View Post
    Although it's most accurate the faster you go, and 160-172 knots TAS is NOT what I think they had in mind.
    You really don't need 8-decimal place precision when calculating a flight plan. Those who used slide rules understood that. Those who grew up with electronic calculators; not so much.

Leave a comment:

• A. Niemyer
    replied
    My favorite was the Jepp CR-5. Fits in a shirt pocket.

I had my primary students buy a CR computer, too, but most picked a larger size which was easier to learn on. The CR-3, I think.

I think the medium-sized CR-2 is the only one that they still make.

https://www.longbeachpilotshop.com/p...cular-computer

I have never, ever used the one all the GA folks have trained on; I started my Nav training on the CR-2 and still carry one to this day. On long legs I still use it to manually check all my great gadgets and remind myself of the navigator's fundamentals. Although it's most accurate the faster you go, and 160-172 knots TAS is NOT what I think they had in mind.

Best regards,
    Andy

Leave a comment:

• Terry Carraway
    replied
    I like the small USAF one. Basically a small E-6B for fighter/attack cockpit use.

I don't remember the designation, but I still have one around.

Leave a comment:

• Randy Sohn
    replied
    [QUOTEFits in a shirt pocket[/QUOTE]

Most important part, t'was!

best, randy

Leave a comment:

• Larry sreyoB
    replied
    Originally posted by dick merrill View Post
    I have an extensive collection of flight computers, the manual kind.
    My favorite was the Jepp CR-5. Fits in a shirt pocket.

I had my primary students buy a CR computer, too, but most picked a larger size which was easier to learn on. The CR-3, I think.

I think the medium-sized CR-2 is the only one that they still make.

https://www.longbeachpilotshop.com/p...cular-computer

Leave a comment:

• dick merrill
    replied
    Originally posted by John O'Shaughnessy [FCM] View Post
    I instruct my students to use all available information. Of course, need to make sure they can do it without the moving map, but if the moving map is there, intercept angle is very clearly displayed and it is a shame to see people NOT using it when it is there.

PS - I also use calculators.
    I have an extensive collection of flight computers, the manual kind.

Leave a comment:

• Randy Sohn
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
    Work out the hard parts on the ground before departure
    When I saw the student having done that, thar's when I'd have him go over to some other airport.

best, randy

Leave a comment:

• Scott Dyer HPN/NY
    replied
    >>> Calculators? Why? An airborne abacus works just fine.

Nope! No math in the cockpit if you can help it. Too distracting and error-prone. Work out the hard parts on the ground before departure and have the solutions on your kneeboard.
    Ray -- I think that John was teasing, and so was I.....

Leave a comment:

• Ray Tackett
    replied
    >>> Calculators? Why? An airborne abacus works just fine.

Nope! No math in the cockpit if you can help it. Too distracting and error-prone. Work out the hard parts on the ground before departure and have the solutions on your kneeboard.

Leave a comment:

• Randy Sohn
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post

An airborne abacus works just fine
    Chuckle, chuckle, thinking back how's that gonna help with DAH's and DIT's?

_... . ... _

randy
    Last edited by Randy Sohn; 08-13-2019, 16:06.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Dyer HPN/NY
    replied
    Scott,

Told here before, but may help make your point with Rusty Student:

IFR/IMC going to KPNE from KAGC, I got sent off V12, direct LRP, ... I tuned and idented LRP, which is co-located with KLNS, and has the same name, "Lancaster". Being too familiar with the area, I plugged "LNS" (note the missing "K"), and not the less-familiar "LRP" into the yoke mount GPS. GPS and VOR courses diverged by about 5 degrees. I decided to stay with the VOR needle, figuring that's what the controller at Harrisburg Approach expected. Good thing I did.

Flying along, the VOR/GPS divergence increased slightly, while I was expecting a decrease.as I got closer. Then I took a another look at the GPS. I still had 4000+ NM to fly to the LNS NDB in Brazil.

As Radny says, "Pay 'tenshun, Lt!"
    GIGO, right?

Leave a comment:

• Scott Dyer HPN/NY
    replied
    Originally posted by John O'Shaughnessy [FCM] View Post
    I instruct my students to use all available information. Of course, need to make sure they can do it without the moving map, but if the moving map is there, intercept angle is very clearly displayed and it is a shame to see people NOT using it when it is there.

PS - I also use calculators.
    Calculators? Why? An airborne abacus works just fine.

I doubt that your students are fixating on the map to determine when to turn for the intercept to the exclusion of watching the HSI......

Leave a comment:

• Scott Dyer HPN/NY
    replied
    Might benefit from some time using some of the online navigation simulators. Spend time practicing the old-style tracking skills.

Larry -- Yes, that's good. We did spend a fair bit of time on good-old no moving map VOR nav so he got sharper that way. But when we transitioned back to the GPS with the map, the map was all-consuming.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X