Deviating at FL 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deviating at FL 250

On my trip to SC yesterday. Got to use all systems.

Large system passed over Dallas on Wednesday and I flew over it from the backside Thursday. Was able to climb above most of it before the large build ups.

Sorry, tried to load a couple pics of the panel and they’re too large. Can’t downsize on my iPhone.

Comment

Baby bumpies.

Comment

Kinda :-). Tops in the low 30s, but individual build-ups. Solid layer below from Louisiana to Georgia below between. I was able to circumnavigate the bigger ones.

Comment

Looks lonely up there.

Comment

Nice technique -- being on top of the layer so you can see the embedded TRWs. I did that once a bit lower (15,500 in a normally-aspirated Archer, O2 in the cockpit) to get over a front I was crossing at right angles. Felt good.
            Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

This one worked out well, as it had passed Dallas and when I departed, tops were 4,000. So I was able to climb in the clear before tops got higher to avoid potential icing. Over most of it when tops were higher and almost clear where I landed. The de-ice on, but only encountered trace. Wouldn’t have taken on much more, but this one worked out great!

Comment

Was able to downsize these

Comment

Excellent.

Comment

Ah yes, many thousand hours in aircraft that, for sure, could not top a lot of weather (P2V's, P-3-s, yes even heavy 727's and during 1st 5 hours, older heavy B-747's). OK, that B-757 could almost always get up to FL390, and I think most new jets with their super engines can also jump to at least FL370, even if heavy. Thanks for the post and pictures. I should be at BP's this morning -solving various aviation issues.

Regards, Dux

Comment

Thanks for sharing Dave, I give you a "LIKE" except it's NORDO.
                      I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
                      48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Duxbury View Post
                        even heavy 727's
                        Chuckle chuckle, what you needed was some real engines on those three holers like those -17s we had on ours instead of those weak -9s that Northwurst had.

Seriously, see you shortly at BPs!

best, randy

Comment

Hard to explain why this was so unusual except to those that have done it :-). This was pretty about all this bird would do without flying through icing conditions in a large weather system. Was happy it could be done safely and work out so well!

Comment

Working...
                          X