Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting NOTAM at BDU

Hello all!

I've been (somewhat) recently back into the flying side of life along the front range of Colorado, and have come across an unusual NOTAM down at Boulder Muni:

"Service IFR SERVICES NOT available FROM BDU except prior permission required MEDEVAC/LAW ENFORCEMENT 303-342-1590. 09 OCT 22:07 2018 UNTIL 09 NOV 23:59 2018. CREATED: 09 OCT 22:07 2018"

I understand this to mean I can't simply call ATC and expect to obtain an IFR release while still on the ground at BDU unless my flight falls into either of the listed categories. I don't understand why that is the case, though.

So far, the only possible reason I can come up with for the lack of a procedure is that there is no IAP, nor DP, for the airport. In the past I have called and got a release while still on the ground, though, which makes me think something has changed.

Originally posted by Dusty Rider View Post
    So far, the only possible reason I can come up with for the lack of a procedure is that there is no IAP, nor DP, for the airport. In the past I have called and got a release while still on the ground, though, which makes me think something has changed.
    Part 91 operators of light aircraft need not fly any ODP on departure, and there are many airports without IAPs into which IFR flight operations are conducted every day. So I don't think that the reason you mention is the actual reason.

Comment

It's more likely something going on around there, e.g. a wild fire, or even a radar or navaid outage. I suspect the latter after a quick run through Boulder news sources didn't turn up anything relevant. It could also be a GPS jamming exercise.
      Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Maybe someone can call the FBO there (Journey Aviation) that opens at 8 AM MDT, 303-449-4210, and ask one of the instructors there. I'll be tied up pretty much all day with a sick Uncle or I'd do it.

Comment

OK, after i got back from the hospital I called the FBO....seems not too long ago a Bonanza departing under IFR got a little too close to the rocks and the FAA decided to stop all IFR departures until they get some departure procedures in effect....As I understand it there are none now, which makes sense since the FAA doesn't publish departure procedures for airports without IAPs. That's why.

Comment

That makes sense. I managed to arrange a visit to the good ol' TRACON yesterday and asked them and they basically said the same thing. It sounded like the pilot received a "when entering controlled airspace, fly heading xxx" which the pilot took to mean don't turn until reaching 1200' agl.

It sounds like there's something in the works, but it's unknown if it'll be an ODP or something else. Boulder doesn't have the busiest airport, but there's still enough traffic and flight training there to justify having some sort of ODP and IAP. I don't know enough about TERPS, though, to know if it's even possible to add one at this airport.

It sounds like the medivac/law enforcement ops are going to have to call the TRACON to have the "runway 8 is okay, runway 26 is bad news, let's not hit the rocks out there" conversation.

Thanks for looking into it, Scott.

Comment

Dusty - And, of course, they can put in an iap and odp but there’s no regulatory requirement for a Part 91 departure to fly it...unless it’s expressly assigned by ATC...I guess that’s the plan.

Comment

Working...
              X