Vectors to the LOC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vectors to the LOC

When vectored by ATC to the LOC for an approach it is my understanding that the final heading to intercept the LOC has to be no more than 30 degrees of the LOC course and at least two miles (or 5 miles, which ever is greater) from the FAF when the approach will be below VFR minimums. What is the best way to handle a situation where it is obvious that it will be impossible to be stabilized prior to the FAF. When the approach is a vector for a visual does anything change?

Grace and Peace,
    I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
    48th AHC 1971-72

Bill -- I can't help with how to fly a turbojet that isn't stabilized by the FAF....but I think the ATC requirement is to vector to intercept at least 2 miles from the approach gate (not FAF) unless the wx is at least 500' above MVA and at least 3 miles vis. Maybe not a big difference, but the gate has to be at least a mile form the FAF (and at least 5 mi. from the threshold).

Comment

What I've done is ask to go to the IAF for the full approach, or if safe, ask to descend early if safe to do that. Several times in my Citation II training, the DPE tried to rush me but turning me in early and cluttering commo so I couldn't coordinate with my co-pilot. Telling approach we want to head to the IAF we named for the full approach cured him of rushing us. :-)

Comment

Working...
      X