Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching Live Feed on Manned Launch

Anyone else watching?

SpaceX designs, manufactures and launches advanced rockets and spacecraft.

I'm watching on my computer, my son's watching the feed on the big tv in the other room.

Comment

Didn't need all the hype and yakking in advance, so I waited almost until the launch window to tune in, by which time it had been scrubbed. Efficient, but unsatisfying.
      Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

I had it on with the volume down until it was scrubbed.

Comment

I had the Youtube SpaceX video playing with the volume down, and followed along on the live blog at https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/05/2...status-center/ with the plan to turn up the volume about 15 minutes before the launch.

I probably have watched 70% of the SpaceX launches that way (at least when I'm awake).

Comment

I watched virtually the entire SpaceX coverage. It was pretty good.

Later, I also turned on Discovery, but it was no where near as good of coverage. Plus, it lagged between 20 seconds and a couple of minutes. They announced the scrub almost 3 minutes after the Space X coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
              Anyone else watching?

Hi Terry,
              I watched via SpaceXs' YouTube site.
              After standing down from launch on Wednesday, May 27, SpaceX is now targeting Saturday, May 30 for Falcon 9’s launch of Crew Dragon’s second demonstration (D...

Who doesn't like the stylish space suits? Elon says it's to be inspirational for kids of the next generation. But, there's a reason NASA always went with orange. If'n you should end up a bob'n in da ocean . . . white not so good.

Regards,
              Tom Charlton (yup, I’m a SpaceX fan-boy)

"The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

White is better than gold.

My Dad was a bit part of the change in the Navy from gold painted helmets to white, with a certain amount of reflective tape decorations.

I think the SpaceX suits look like a cheap scifi flick. A drag racing fire suit, with rubber rain boots.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
                  Hi Terry,
                  I watched via SpaceXs' YouTube site.
                  After standing down from launch on Wednesday, May 27, SpaceX is now targeting Saturday, May 30 for Falcon 9’s launch of Crew Dragon’s second demonstration (D...

Who doesn't like the stylish space suits? Elon says it's to be inspirational for kids of the next generation. But, there's a reason NASA always went with orange. If'n you should end up a bob'n in da ocean . . . white not so good.

Regards,
                  Tom Charlton (yup, I’m a SpaceX fan-boy)
                  NASA was silver for a while, orange only lately (says the old man).

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
                    NASA was silver for a while, orange only lately (says the old man).
                    . . . and the silver was unintended. Life Magazine was ratting around NASA shooting photos of anything that looked interesting or exciting and stumbled across an astronaut suited up in a special aluminized suit in a heat chamber. The image wasn’t particularly dynamic, so the photographer suggested putting some IR heat lamps from the lab in the chamber for a little more visual drama.

The photos were so well received that in short order all of the suits were aluminized. If you look at some of the early group photos you will notice several of the astronauts wearing silver painted combat boots as their shiny new silver boots were not yet ready.

- TT
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	1487A121-07F8-4A23-9F1A-C0115CF50247.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	17487
                    Last edited by Tom Tyson; 05-28-2020, 19:37.
                    Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches . . .
                    ( . . . and Mechanics without Pilots are Unemployed.)

Comment

Found it: Scott Crossfield poised in a special “Silver Lamé” David Clark MC-2 pressure suit in the Wright-Paterson thermal chamber for Life magazine. The suits were originally going to be olive drab for use in the U-2.

circa 1957

Click image for larger version  Name:	F9DE6271-A68E-4F1E-AB33-E0E34B05669C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	129.5 KB ID:	17489
                      Last edited by Tom Tyson; 05-28-2020, 20:30.
                      Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches . . .
                      ( . . . and Mechanics without Pilots are Unemployed.)

Comment

Crew Dragon is on orbit. Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.

Comment

CNN played the countdown on a feed that was delayed several seconds, and totally missed the liftoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
                            CNN played the countdown on a feed that was delayed several seconds, and totally missed the liftoff.
                            I watched on the NASA channel until it was rudely interrupted with a public service announcement.
                            I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
                            48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Go to SpaceX website, and click link to watch.

No commercials or PSA, and not delayed.

Wednesday I was watching both the SpaceX feed and Discovery. Discovery was running 20 seconds to over 2 minutes delay. They announced the scrub over 2 minutes after the launch was scrubbed.

Seems strange that they are using a hand held mic, and not a Blue Tooth headset.

Comment

Working...
                              X