Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post

I did mine at the drug store...
    I did mine at a corner grocery. Once, I was standing by the tester, dead tube in hand, and got a clerk's attention.

"Kin I help you?"
    "I need a tube,"
    "A tubeuh whut?|"
    Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Too bad you weren't in a band and playing tuba!

Comment

Video of the collapse. https://twitter.com/i/status/1334536573636009987

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
          WOW! Talk about being in the right place at the right time. I think this is going down with the Tacoma Narrows Bridge for classroom videos.

BTW, one of the YouTube channels mentioned there was a small earthquake around this time - it's likely that was the trigger for the event.

Comment

Longer video here: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...ables-snapped/

Interesting comment by a knowable person suggesting that the science/$ isn't encouraging for rebuilding.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
              suggesting that the science/$ isn't encouraging for rebuilding.
              This is crazy. I saw an estimate of $350 million to rebuild/replace.

That is about 3 F-35s.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post

This is crazy. I saw an estimate of $350 million to rebuild/replace.

That is about 3 F-35s.
                We're probably going to save that much on presidential travel in 2021, so funding found!

Comment

That is about 3 F-35s.
                  Maybe. I wonder what the real "variable" cost per airplane is. If you try to cut the program by 3 jets, the enormous fixed costs for development get spread across the remaining airplanes such that the cost savings are minimal.

Anyway, to quote a section of the comment I was referring too:
                  So as always it comes down to choices. If congress were to say here is new money to rebuild Arecibo in addition to the other telescopes you want to build; scientists would jump up and down. There is really cool science Arecibo2 can do. But if congress were to repurpose other science money to rebuild Arecibo instead of the other telescopes we are currently designing and building, it would be a setback. On a science/$ basis a rebuilt Arecibo is not very competitive. This is really down to the cost of receivers and digitizers falling so much that arrays of equivalent cost have greater science range.
                  I'll note that with the current economic situation, this isn't a good time to ask for niceties.

Comment

Good analysis of the failure from multiple angles, including a drone about ten feet away from the cables which broke first. Too bad the drone didn’t record the sound, it would have been deafening that close.

The collapse was on Tuesday morning, but yesterday the NSF made video of the catastrophic collapse available, and so many viewers asked I continue my long tr...
                    Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches . . .
                    ( . . . and Mechanics without Pilots are Unemployed.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tyson View Post
                      Good analysis of the failure from multiple angles, including a drone about ten feet away from the cables which broke first. Too bad the drone didn’t record the sound, it would have been deafening that close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59WQIRvezzI
                      Ah, Scott Manley. He was the one that mentioned there was a earthquake at that time that was likely a trigger. See 1:44 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vchDbyIRP44

Comment

Maybe. I wonder what the real "variable" cost per airplane is. If you try to cut the program by 3 jets, the enormous fixed costs for development get spread across the remaining airplanes such that the cost savings are minimal.
                        OK, cut 4 planes.

Comment

OK, cut 4 planes.
                          I don't have a basis, but I'm thinking the fixed (development) costs dwarfs the variable costs. Perhaps each airplane is only 10s of $M, not 100s of M.

Comment

The F-35A unit price, including aircraft and engine, is now $77.9 million in Lot 14.
                            OK, so we need to cut 4.5 aircraft to rebuild a new Arecibo.

They have already built over 595 aircraft.

Comment

The Practical Engineering channel just put out an interesting video.

Two things I learned: it was originally built as a DoD cold war project. It also seems to have had a rather low safety factor in it's calculations.

Comment

The Practical Engineering channel just put out an interesting video.

Two things I learned: it was originally built as a DoD cold war project. It also seems to have had a rather low safety factor in it's calculations.
                                Probably why it only lasted 57 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X