SpaceX Starship Test Flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceX Starship Test Flight

I watched the 12.5KM test flight yesterday. There are a number of YouTube videos of the test.

They accomplished the major goals. Launch, belly flop to horizontal, and "flying" with the aerodynamic fins back to the launch site, relit of the engines, and flipping right side up. But they did not properly control the vertical speed on touchdown, so was a bit spectacular.

But that was not a major goal of this flight, they expected the vehicle to be lost at some point, but it was great that it was only the final thing that went wrong.

Very nice job by them.

Comment

East German judge awards them a 3.5 for failing to stick the landing....

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie Belser View Post
        East German judge awards them a 3.5 for failing to stick the landing....
        I disagree, they REALLY stuck the landing.

Comment

I watched it in realtime. Very cool stuff! I love their approach. Build lots and test 'em instead of trying to make a single, perfect test specimen.

Comment

Originally posted by John O'Shaughnessy [FCM] View Post
            I watched it in realtime. Very cool stuff! I love their approach. Build lots and test 'em instead of trying to make a single, perfect test specimen.

Hi John,
            The corporate culture at SpaceX is dramatically different from any competitors. From hiring practices to not being so risk adverse. I’m sure books will be written of their nontraditional methodologies.

One of the reasons I moved to Titusville this past summer is to be close to the space center. I think we’re on the brink of some incredible things because of a real commercialization of space. With a tenfold or greater reduction in the cost to put stuff in orbit many more things become feasible.

Regards,
            Tom Charlton (SpaceX fan-boy)
            "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I'm wondering if the current approach is perhaps a result of a different risk/benefit environment. The 60's era space program was about political prestige and a bit of a proxy fight with the Soviets. The more it has to be perfect, the more layers of checks and cautions get added.

It was also a different technological era. Engineering was with a slide rule. I'm sure we've learned a lot about material science. Also, we can easily send automated systems for a test flight. We don't have to be so quick to be "manned".

In short, we may be seeing a different approach due to the maturing of the relevant technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
                Engineering was with a slide rule.
                I can remember that thing hanging from my belt like a .45. Keuffel & Esser Log Log Duplex Vector..;-)

Comment

Still got my father's K&E and my own Lafayette Radio "log log decitring".
                  Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

I still have my 12" Pickett.

Comment

Tom -

How are things out at Arthur Dunn Airpark? Have not been down there in years...... soloed there many moons ago....

Reams

Comment

I have to say that I was initially very skeptical about Space X; I thought it was mostly P.T. Barnum-level of hype, mainly to boost The Boss's enormous ego. The FanBoy cult they built didn't help them at all in my eyes. But, over time, their engineers have proven to be very agile and willing to "try it out and see if it works", which is thus far proving again the old adage about "build a little, test a lot, then build more and test a whole lot more."

History has shown us over multiple millennia that commercial trade and economic imperatives drive more exploration than almost anything else. History may not repeat itself, but it sure does rhyme.

Best,
                        Andy

Comment

[QUOTE=A. Niemyer;n19538]I have to say that I was initially very skeptical about Space X; I thought it was mostly P.T. Barnum-level of hype, mainly to boost The Boss's enormous ego. The FanBoy cult they built didn't help them at all in my eyes. But, over time, their engineers have proven to be very agile and willing to "try it out and see if it works", which is thus far proving again the old adage about "build a little, test a lot, then build more and test a whole lot more."/QUOTE]

Your assessment of The Boss is spot on as evidenced by the poor build quality of Teslas and their overhyped, underperforming features such as "autopilot". Makes SpaceX all the more impressive.

A comment I read someplace, likely Ars Technica, pointed out that test failures were once "ganz streng verboten" due to national prestige issues in the "space race" of the late 1950s and 1960s. Testing to learn what breaks and why leads to better products faster.

When Edison was trying to take the incandescent light bulb from laboratory curiosity to practical (mass-producible, shippable, consumer-usable), a reporter once asked him about his progress. "We have made lots of progress. We know roughly four hundred things that don't work."
                          Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

I'm also curious how the changes in the cost of labor (increasing) vs. the cost of hardware (decreasing) has impacted this type of development.

$100,000 doesn't buy many weeks of 3 or 4 engineers time these days.

Comment

I think another factor is back in the 60's the question was "can we?" Today, the question is "can we do it better?".

Comment

Working...
                              X