Watched SpaceX launch and land from Titusville this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watched SpaceX launch and land from Titusville this morning

Small enough payload, for the National Reconnaissance Office, that they had enough fuel for a booster fly-back to Landing zone 1 at Cape Canaveral instead of using the drone-ship at sea.
    Using binoculars, this is the first 1st stage booster fly-back where I’ve been able to see all of the boost-back, reentry and landing burns. That sucker sure streaks fast down through the atmosphere. Love the sonic boom.

Thinking of Starship being developed over in Boca Chica Texas: Both 1st stage and 2nd stage will use the retro rocket landing concept. Imagine if you were riding that thing. No winged landing, no para-chute landing, just retro rockets to slow down and land. A whole lot has to go right or . . . smoking hole.

Elon has mentioned the concept of using this system for rapid point to point travel around earth with one hundred souls on board.
    I suspect many will have second thoughts of riding through a retro rocket landing.

Regards,
    Tom Charlton (If I survived the landing . . . a change of undies would be in order)
    "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

That’s great that you got to see it!

Comment

I still need to see a launch in person.

Considering that I think I watched every launch of Mercury and Gemini. My mother finally figured out that I would be "sick" on launch days. So I had to stay home, and incidentally get to watch the launch.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
        That’s great that you got to see it!

Hi Scott,
        Yeh but . . . how much would they have to pay you to ride through a, slam-dunk, retro rocket landing?

Regards,
        Tom Charlton (who’d be scared witless waiting for the rocket engines to light off)

"The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
          I still need to see a launch in person.

Hi Terry,
          Concur! And not just seeing but hearing and feeling the rumble and crackle of incomprehensible power.
          I feel for folks who come visit, to experience a launch, because of the many delays and scrubs.

I drive over to rivers edge to view most events with a bunch of other space kadets. What an amazing time and place to exist.

Regards,
          Tom Charlton

Comment

Working...
          X