Minimum Maneuvering Speed (Dick Merrill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum Maneuvering Speed (Dick Merrill)

Hey Dick -- I saw your email about this video (see below) before I left DLH, but we didn't have time to talk with John, Ray, etc.

The minimum maneuvering speed (1.4 Vs) concept is one that Dan Gryder has been pushing for a few months now (maybe longer). It's interesting as a way to avoid a stall although it certainly isn't stall proof (e.g. banking greater than 30 degrees, vigorous pitch-up). I've seen guys trying to go to 45d or more bank to get aligned with a runway when they delay the base to final turn too long (as with a tailwind on base) so this speed won't help them there...only training not to try to make it work when the base-final turn isn't right will help. And, even limiting the turn to 30d bank won't help if the turn is uncoordinated as a way to "cheat" and drag the nose onto the extended centerline.

The part of the training about how to execute a rejected landing was fine I thought (too many people yank the flaps up way too soon for my liking, with the exception of those flying Cessnas with 40d flaps out who do need to get down to 20d or 10d right quick), especially being ready for the pitch change on power application. The loss of thrust on takeoff drills are important and I've taken to requiring my clients to brief what they'll do in that situation before every takeoff.

The delay in calling ATC back on a frequency change I thought was on the ridiculous side of the fence.

I'd be interested in the comments of others.

Scott

The speed concept is a nice extension of what I learned while exploring the 180 degree return to the runway, which kills too many people. Part of what I taught on that maneuver was to pitch for airspeed, then do a coordinated steep turn into the crosswind component. Maintain airspeed regardless of altitude lost doing so. Stalling costs a lot more altitude, and quickly.
    Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

If available, I prefer AOA. Keep the AOA low enough, and you will not stall.

Military flies the final turn or final on a combination of AOA and air speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
        If available, I prefer AOA. Keep the AOA low enough, and you will not stall.

Military flies the final turn or final on a combination of AOA and air speed.
        Navy flies AOA.

Comment

AoA is certainly the gold standard. But for the great majority of light GA without it, does the MMS concept with limits on bank angle to make the 1.4Vs work, advance the ball in a meaningful way?

Comment

The thing I see it, it works, IF you remain with parameters.

I wonder if those that end up doing 45 degree bank angle base to final turns have ANY idea of their bank angle?

Comment

Working...
            X