Back in the cockpit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in the cockpit

My flight school started training again last week. I gave three lessons and have four more this week. We are taking some precautions like taking the temperature of each person, students and instructors, using a pulse oximeter for O2 levels, washing hands before getting into the airplane, wearing masks, wiping down everything we touch at the end of each lesson.

The masks can be a problem for those of us who wear glasses.

There is not a large population in my county and we have had only about 40 positive cases. One person died and half recovered. I am in the at-risk age group, but I am healthy and not very concerned.

The company did pay all the employees, including part-timers like me, during the time we did not fly.

Originally posted by Gil Buettner View Post
    One person died and half recovered.
    I've felt that way a couple times after a bad hangover.
    Nice to hear you're flying again.

Comment

My flight school started training again last week. I gave three lessons and have four more this week. We are taking some precautions like taking the temperature of each person, students and instructors, using a pulse oximeter for O2 levels, washing hands before getting into the airplane, wearing masks, wiping down everything we touch at the end of each lesson.

The masks can be a problem for those of us who wear glasses.

There is not a large population in my county and we have had only about 40 positive cases. One person died and half recovered. I am in the at-risk age group, but I am healthy and not very concerned.

The company did pay all the employees, including part-timers like me, during the time we did not fly.
      Nice touch, that payment, Gil. If you'd wander down my way, I know a guy who needs a FR.....

Comment

In Minnesota, flight training was considered, "essential," so many flight schools did not close, but there were fewer flights. In our flying club, about half of our instructors "paused" instruction, myself included. Of course, it didn't help that my main student is a ENT physician who works near patients with COVID-19...

I did go up with one former student for an IPC the other day. It was in the luxurious C210, so we had lots of room for social distancing. . I know this guy's life and routine pretty well, so I felt comfortable flying with him. I'm still not ready to go up with my ENT Doc IFR student, though.

Positive cases, Hospital and ICU usage, as well as deaths are still climbing in Minnesota.

What concerns me more is that some of our larger FBOs, dealing with transient traffic from all over, aren't even bothering with masks at the front desk. That just seems risky, especially as some of their staff are in the "older than 60" camp. Even for those who don't get hospitalized, it sounds like impacts are all over the map.

Stay safe, everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by John O'Shaughnessy [FCM] View Post
          I

What concerns me more is that some of our larger FBOs, dealing with transient traffic from all over, aren't even bothering with masks at the front desk. That just seems risky, especially as some of their staff are in the "older than 60" camp. Even for those who don't get hospitalized, it sounds like impacts are all over the map.

Stay safe, everyone!
          John,

Not to make light of Covid, a lot of old folks grew up with communicable diseases that were much more deadly and infectious than the crisis the world is going through today. I read on the Mayo Clinic website that more than a 100,000 folks a year die from measles. And then there was polio.
          I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
          48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post

John,

Not to make light of Covid, a lot of old folks grew up with communicable diseases that were much more deadly and infectious than the crisis the world is going through today. I read on the Mayo Clinic website that more than a 100,000 folks a year die from measles. And then there was polio.
            And now we know more. This crap scares me. I'll wear the mask even though my ancestors went through the plague.

Comment

Originally posted by John O'Shaughnessy [FCM] View Post
              In Minnesota, flight training was considered, "essential," so many flight schools did not close, but there were fewer flights. In our flying club, about half of our instructors "paused" instruction, myself included. Of course, it didn't help that my main student is a ENT physician who works near patients with COVID-19...

I did go up with one former student for an IPC the other day. It was in the luxurious C210, so we had lots of room for social distancing. . I know this guy's life and routine pretty well, so I felt comfortable flying with him. I'm still not ready to go up with my ENT Doc IFR student, though.

Positive cases, Hospital and ICU usage, as well as deaths are still climbing in Minnesota.

Stay safe, everyone!
              John - Let's put it this way: my son, the hospital chaplain, isn't welcome in our house, notwithstanding his PPE and good care practices. It's just a high-risk environment and we love to see him otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post
                And then there was polio.
                I'm old enough to remember coming back from summer vacation and shivering a little as I counted the new leg braces.

And the empty seats.

One classmate would have come back two years later -- but he flew to Minneapolis to show his grandparents how well his leg brace was working, and on the way home he got as far as Tell City, Indiana.

Comment

Agree. I sure don’t want this if I can avoid it. Not much in my immediate area, but I keep reading about folks doing stupid stuff: so, I keep my distance and wear a mask shopping.

I am having a bit of trouble with the 6’ distancing at times . After reading Ray’s article on fire control systems, I should improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post

Nice touch, that payment, Gil. If you'd wander down my way, I know a guy who needs a FR.....
                    I rarely get out of Wisconsin anymore.

Comment

I rarely get out of Wisconsin anymore.
                      No worries, Gil, just teasing.

(I'm now re-upped for another 2 years)

Comment

Doing a few flight reviews and rusty pilot rides, really picking up the last few weeks. Plus six active primary students. New foreign student today, started with his written test already done, medical, and student pilot application done. Very well prepared. He will be fun to fly with.

Comment

A knowledgeable student is a joy!

Comment

Doing a few flight reviews and rusty pilot rides, really picking up the last few weeks. Plus six active primary students. New foreign student today, started with his written test already done, medical, and student pilot application done. Very well prepared. He will be fun to fly with.
                            You may have found yourself a great student. Gotta watch those rusty pilots. They are sometimes good enough that you relax too much, then ...

I had a great flight in an AA-1B with a guy who flew P2V-7 Neptunes. A great stick, despite a decade out of the cockpit and first time in a Grumman. All was well until his eyes reached flare height for a Neptune. The Grumman's gear isn't quite that tall. I hammered the throttle in time to avoid damaging the airplane, but it wasn't pretty.
                            Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Working...
                            X