Lunken Busted For Flying Under Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunken Busted For Flying Under Bridge

At 78 or 79, she just happened to say, I have to do it. Well, she did it. Now she pays the piper.

Even without all those fun to read articles about how she taunted the FSDO (not smart if you are not going to be pure going forward), this was likely enough for a revocation of all certificates.

Thanks for linking to that article. I've landed at Lunken two or three times (and overnighted there twice). One of the strongest reasons I wanted to stop there was to experience the airport that Martha wrote about so often.

Looks like she plans to try for a check ride once she is eligible again next year.

Comment

She worked for the FAA for 28 years as a safety manager. What did she think was going to happen?

At 79, I'm curious as to how her medical will go come December. It seems a bit much to just be a lapse in judgement. Even if she's fine now, I wonder what the forced break in routine is going to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
        She worked for the FAA for 28 years as a safety manager. What did she think was going to happen?

At 79, I'm curious as to how her medical will go come December. It seems a bit much to just be a lapse in judgement. Even if she's fine now, I wonder what the forced break in routine is going to do.
        As a <ahem> "mature" CFI, CFII, MEI, I was given quite a few of what I called "resurrections" of aging pilots who wanted to fly again after a long lapse. There is no way to generalize about such folks. They are as variable as humans in general. I saw everything from "please stay away from flying machines" to really good sticks.

My own experience as a stale pilot (quit flying from age 63 to 70) was in the middle. My flying was adequate, but the habitual high, example-setting precision I expected of myself as an instructor was gone.
        Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
          As a <ahem> "mature" CFI, CFII, MEI, I was given quite a few of what I called "resurrections" of aging pilots who wanted to fly again after a long lapse. There is no way to generalize about such folks.
          I'm generalizing based on what seems like a pretty serious lapse in judgement. Was it just one of those foolish moments, or is it a sign of something else?

It's possible she's always had a bit of a foolish streak that didn't make the article. Otherwise, it strikes me as strange that someone of that maturity would suddenly do something like that.

One thing I haven't had to do is take the keys away from an aging parent.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post

I'm generalizing based on what seems like a pretty serious lapse in judgement. Was it just one of those foolish moments, or is it a sign of something else?

It's possible she's always had a bit of a foolish streak that didn't make the article. Otherwise, it strikes me as strange that someone of that maturity would suddenly do something like that.

One thing I haven't had to do is take the keys away from an aging parent.
            I can't give dot and tittle, but my impression from her articles is that this wasn't the first lapse in judgment...and something of a bent toward anti-authority. Then again, the FSDO may well have been after her, perhaps for some reason, perhaps for none. I can't recall what i read yesterday on Beechtalk on whether she has had any prior suspension.

Comment

I choose to believe she is still a kid at heart and chose to do something rebellious on a whim that harmed no one and involved almost no risk other that to her certificate. Reminds me of the time I drove up the curly section of Lombard St twice in one night just for fun. I actually was young. and rebellious at the time, though--I'm more boring now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Horak View Post
                I choose to believe she is still a kid at heart and chose to do something rebellious on a whim that harmed no one and involved almost no risk other that to her certificate. Reminds me of the time I drove up the curly section of Lombard St twice in one night just for fun. I actually was young. and rebellious at the time, though--I'm more boring now.
                UP?! I thought Lombard was one way down the times I drove it.
                Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post

UP?! I thought Lombard was one way down the times I drove it.
                  I think that's his point

Comment

Originally posted by A. Niemyer View Post

I think that's his point
                    Exactly. Good thing I didn't yet have my ASEL certificate back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Horak View Post
                      When I was in Vietnam one of the slick pilots in another unit tried flying under a bridge. He didn't make it and took three other guys with him. Needless to say I'm not a fan of folks doing stuff like that.
                      I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
                      48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post

When I was in Vietnam one of the slick pilots in another unit tried flying under a bridge. He didn't make it and took three other guys with him. Needless to say I'm not a fan of folks doing stuff like that.
                        There are bridges and there are bridges.

The article said this one was 280 some feet above the river.

Comment

I wonder if this will be the subject of one of her upcoming articles. I suspect it will be.

Comment

As someone who has some insight, not too many inside the FSDO 'want' the notoriety that comes with these cases. There are undoubtably those that 'wear their badge on their belt', but for most, there is enough work and this is just more work. When the Harrison Ford episodes happen, the comment always is 'thankfully that didn't happen in my area'.

She undoubtedly tweaked her nose at her former employer (I witnessed it once). I didn't see enough to know whether she truly felt she was in the right or just trying to show her ass. Either way, I wouldn't want to be the one who has do her certification rides. I'd schedule a more pleasant colonoscopy that day.

Comment

Working...
                            X