Weird experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird experience

This was bizarre. Tonight about 10 pm, my student had just completed her night training requirements and we were taxiing in to the apron. Suddenly she said, "There's someone out there!"

"What? Where?!" She stopped the Cessna 150 and pointed to the darkness to our left. "He was standing right next to the taxiway and now he is running away."

She started to taxi again. I could not see anything in the darkness. But she kept looking and said, "Now he is running toward us!" She braked to a stop. As I peered out the left side, a young man ran up to the airplane and put his hands on the side of the plane and leered into the cockpit. "GO!" I said, and the student gunned the engine and we surged away from the intruder. (Now I wonder how we avoided hitting him with the horizontal stabilizer, as he had hands on the plane when we shot forward.)

We scurried over to the hangar and left all of our things in the airplane and went inside and locked the door. I called the airport manager, and he and his son arrived a few minutes later and started sweeping the area in their cars looking for anyone. The boss told me to stay put until the cops arrived. After making sure no one was lurking nearby, he told us to come to the FBO office and wait to talk to the city police.

We did the post-lesson paperwork and sat around for maybe 40 minutes, and finally the manager suggested we go home. He had called the police non-emergency number, and it did not seem they would come anytime soon.

I only had a brief look at the guy in the darkness. Made me think of zombie movies. He must have climbed the fence or found a gate he could squeeze through. We both had to think how this could have ended with him walking into the prop.

Really strange, Gil. Nice police response, though (NOT!). For an incident like that I'd be calling 911 although I like the non-emergency number for far more routine, less threatening events. I mean, geesh, you're sheltering out of fear that the intruder is around. That suggests to me that this isn't a non-emergency number call.

Comment

The police did call and make an appointment for this morning... by the time they called, any threat had passed. It turns out there was a lot of activity about that time of night throughout the city and in the neighborhood of the airport. Some obvious drug dealing, suspicious groups, cars parked together in a dark corner of the airport parking lot.

I agree that 911 might have been a better choice, however, in his defense, he did not realize how seriously threatened we felt until later.

Comment

Wow. Much meth up there? Sounds similar to behaviors exhibited by folks who are affected by it.

Be safe out there!

Comment

CCW permit, maybe?

Comment

So if you had "disarmed" him with the moving prop, might that have necessitated an engine tear down?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Horak View Post
              So if you had "disarmed" him with the moving prop, might that have necessitated an engine tear down?
              Not if the engine did not stop suddenly. A prop inspection ought to be sufficient.
              Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post

Not if the engine did not stop suddenly. A prop inspection ought to be sufficient.
                According to Lycoming, a prop strike, even without a stoppage, requires a detailed inspection including engine removal. It's not just "look at prop and dial the flange" anymore.

Comment

Guess that depends on whether the strike meets the definition: "propeller has impact on a solid object". So if solid is not liquid or gas, maybe it fits, or maybe the object is substantially water, so maybe not?

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie Belser View Post
                    CCW permit, maybe?
                    I have the permit, but I don't carry when I am giving lessons. Two of my students are law enforcement officers and are armed all the time with me.

Comment

Originally posted by A. Niemyer View Post
                      Wow. Much meth up there? Sounds similar to behaviors exhibited by folks who are affected by it.
                      Sure seemed like under the influence of something.

Comment

Originally posted by Gil Buettner View Post

I have the permit, but I don't carry when I am giving lessons. Two of my students are law enforcement officers and are armed all the time with me.
                        Maybe rethink that. Especially for night ops.

Comment

What Terry said.

Comment

A similar story from a buddy that was flying out of MCAS Yuma. He told me that an A-7 pilot told the tower he may have hit a coyote on landing. The tower sent someone out to inspect the runway. A little later the person inspecting the runway asked the tower "Was the coyote wearing a baseball cap?" There had been some issues with plane spotters getting close to the arriving aircraft.
                            I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
                            48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

We wondered how he avoided being hit by the horizontal stabilizer when we scooted away. No "thump" and no damage to the airplane. We believe he must have fallen as the student pilot goosed the throttle.

Comment

Working...
                              X