First BFR in 20 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First BFR in 20 years

So, I am getting back into flying. The last time I flew a on a regular basis was 2001.

I did some back seat formation instruction around Sun n Fun 2002, but only actually flew a couple of hours that weekend. I did some cruise flying in Dave's P-Baron back in about 2011, and a hour in his King Air at Duluth a few years back. So basically not much for 20 years.

So first step was schedule medical. Done.

Next was to start the BFR process. So I scheduled an hour in a C-172 at the local airport (where I did my Private and also later instructed). WOW, things have changed. All the old building are gone, even the hangers. 3 nice new big hangers. Two rows of T-Hangers, and the biggest change, the paved the grass 01/19. Even filling both ends so there is no land uphill, roll out downhill any longer. They are looking at lengthening to about 3100 feet. A far cry from the 2000 foot 10/28 I was used to.

But, so I set up an hour in a C-172. Serious sticker shock at $154 per hour for the airplane, $55 per hour for the instructor.

But bottom line, we went out and did steep turns, slow flight, approach and departure stalls, simulated engine failure, turn around a point and back to the airport. 4 landings later, and I have passed the flying portion of a BFR (need to do some review before doing the ground work), and am considered checked out in the FBO C-172s.

While everything was safe, I was not happy with the precision (not sure I would have even passed a PPL checkride due to a couple of altitude excursions), it feels good to know I can still do it.

Medical appointment is Oct 23. Partly because of my schedule, partly due to the doc's schedule.

Then start working on my CAP checkout in the squadron's 182.

It is my understanding that the ground portion of the Flight Review is supposed to come first, but I can't cite a regulation. Our rates are $140 an hour for a Cessna 172 and $50 an hour for instruction, both ground and air.

You didn't "pass" the flight portion, as it is simply a review, not a pass/fail flight. At worst, the CFI would recommend more practice on some maneuvers, which is very doubtful for someone with your level of experience no matter how rusty you may feel you are.

Comment

This is great news. I stopped flying a couple of years ago with the intention to one day get back to it. I've heard time and again that people just don't do that. Happy to read that you have. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Gil Buettner View Post
        It is my understanding that the ground portion of the Flight Review is supposed to come first, but I can't cite a regulation. Our rates are $140 an hour for a Cessna 172 and $50 an hour for instruction, both ground and air.

You didn't "pass" the flight portion, as it is simply a review, not a pass/fail flight. At worst, the CFI would recommend more practice on some maneuvers, which is very doubtful for someone with your level of experience no matter how rusty you may feel you are.
        Yeah yeah.

But I passed. I do not require any more flights to be signed off. To me that is passing.

But looking at the PPL standards, I would have passed a PPL check ride. But not a Commercial one. Mainly altitude during the steep turns.

I guess he figured that the ground portion was somewhat of a formality for someone with my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Tina Gonsalves View Post
          This is great news. I stopped flying a couple of years ago with the intention to one day get back to it. I've heard time and again that people just don't do that. Happy to read that you have. Enjoy!
          Tina, actually this is the second time I returned to flying.

First time I took about 6 years off. That time, there was no time requirements for the BFR, so I did the flight portion in a 45 minute flight. Then did a 3 hour flight to regain instrument currency.

The big one will be reinstating my CFI. It seems the best way will be to do a MEI add one. Not the cheapest, but gets that rating also.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
            The big one will be reinstating my CFI.
            Hi Terry,
            Good to see you getting back into flying.
            CAP: The officialdom and bureaucracy aspect has always been a bit of a turn-off for me. YMMV

I've kept my CFI cert barely alive over the years. My Piper Cub keeps me happy and stick n rudder skills up to par. In today’s teaching environment I’d be severely challenged if confronted with a technologically advanced panel.

Regards,
            Tom Charlton

"The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

So, I am getting back into flying. The last time I flew a on a regular basis was 2001.

So first step was schedule medical.
              If you were thinking about Brent Blue, from what I've been reading he's been pretty busy lately.
              I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
              48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Originally posted by Gil Buettner View Post

Any order is fine, Gil. What I'm wondering is why Terry completed the flying of the FR but isn't on a firm route (with the FR ground portion covering, e.g., the 172 particulars) to be checked out in the (same?) FBO's 172? Terry, worth asking about....

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
                  Hi Terry,
                  Good to see you getting back into flying.
                  CAP: The officialdom and bureaucracy aspect has always been a bit of a turn-off for me. YMMV

I've kept my CFI cert barely alive over the years. My Piper Cub keeps me happy and stick n rudder skills up to par. In today’s teaching environment I’d be severely challenged if confronted with a technologically advanced panel.
                  At least at my local squadron level, there is not so much officialdom and such. I am sure I will run into some, based on my previous experience. But in some ways, it seems they had mellowed a bit, based on the uniforms. Still have some hoops to jump through to fly with them, but even those seem reasonable. You need an initial check out in each make/model and one for G1000 equipped aircraft. But annual checkride is only one, if you do it in the most complex aircraft you will fly (HP or Complex or HP/G1000). And they pay for 4 hours initial. I am not sure if that is for each make/model/avionics.

Local meetings are discussing recent and upcoming events, then hanger flying.

I still need to hop a flight down to visit you and convince you to let me fly your yellow plane. I have flown a J-5 and Super Cubs (115 HP and 150HP).

Comment

Glad you’re flying again Terry! Hope that CAP unit works well for you. They each seem to have their own personality.

Comment

Thanks.

And that it true. And some seem to be more military that the actual military.

Comment

Mostly through an IPC. I did 1.8 in an FTD set up for glass cockpit. MAN, a glass cockpit makes instrument flying MUCH easier.

Going to spend some time in an airplane Thursday, as it seems you need to land from a straight in and a circling approach. FTD landings do not count.

Comment

Thanks.

And that it true. And some seem to be more military that the actual military.
                          yeah, one of my better "aviation moments" was watching the police handcuff a guy who was protesting: "You can't do this, I am a major in the United States Air Force Auxiliary."

Comment

And that an $5 will get you a small coffee at Starbucks.

Comment

And some seem to be more military that the actual military.
                              That's what pushed me away from the CAP. I had enough military happy horsepoop when I was being paid to tolerate it. Doing it as a volunteer? Nuh-uh,,,,

Comment

Working...
                              X