New CFI NPRM May 2023/Certificate Expiration To Be Elim'd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CFI NPRM May 2023/Certificate Expiration To Be Elim'd

FAA has proposed that CFI certificates no longer expire, as they do generally every 2 years now. While all, or nearly all, of the steps used today for renewals would continue under the proposed rules (e.g., FIRCs), there is also a proposal to allow keeping the CFI in force through experience...in this specific case, teaching in a WINGS program. But, general giving of FRs or IPCs doesn't count toward this experiential recency of experience.

Comments are due by June 22. FAA will review the comments and its proposal and then issue a final rule.

Here's a link to the NPRM itself: https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...mpaign=subscri ption+mailing+list&utm_source=federalregister.gov

Here's an AOPA article on the NPRM: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...ation-proposed

The WINGS experience requirements are here and include a requirement that the CFI him/herself have completed a WINGS phase in the preceding 12 months, in addition to giving at least 15 hours of WINGS training to at least 5 pilots in the preceding 24 calendar months:

Within the preceding 24 calendar months from the month of application, the flight instructor has served as a flight instructor in an FAA-sponsored pilot proficiency program, provided the flight instructor meets the following requirements—

(A) Holds a flight instructor certificate and meets the appropriate flight

instructor recent experience requirements of this part;

(B) Has satisfactorily completed at least one phase of an FAA-sponsored pilot proficiency program in the preceding 12 calendar months; and

(C) Has given at least 15 hours of flight training under the FAA-sponsored pilot proficiency program to at least 5 pilots and has made appropriate endorsements in the logbooks of those pilots.

There is also a provision allowing for the reinstatement of CFI privs if within a 3 month grace period after privs would otherwise be lost the CFI takes a FIRC....after that grace period a CFI practical test would be required (as is the case today even 1 day after expiration).

While nixing expiry dates is nice and will doubtless save lots of money, the grace period is helpful and some CFIs will find the WINGS provision a decent way to renew, for the majority of CFIs there is little or no change based on this NPRM. Would have been nice, I think, if IPC/FR recurrent teaching could have been a basis for an experience-based continuation of CFI privs.

Agree with your analysis. I might only do one rating a year, but typically do 5-10 IPCs or Flight Reviews each year.

Comment

I also do 5-10 Flight Reviews each year. (I have already done five this year.)

The last two-year cycle, I only had four students get rated, but the two cycles prior I had enough to renew based on production rather than a FIRC.
      Last edited by Gil Buettner; 05-30-2023, 11:10.

Comment

Working...
      X