No More Student Solo Flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More Student Solo Flights

A flight school in Phoenix that trains CPA cadets has stopped allowing them to fly solo after unreported incidents.

A US pilot school has banned solo flights for trainees at one of the world's top airlines after a spate of incidents (msn.com)
    I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
    48th AHC 1971-72

Cathay Pacific, this time. 30 years ago, it was China Airlines at UND.

Comment

Allow me a borderline racist stereotype:
      My daughter attended Oregon State in her freshman year, where she was assigned to "the International Dormitory", which we saw as a wonderful opportunity. It turned out to be the "Chinese dormitory".

We soon found out that affluent adolescent Chinese are ignorant, insuperably entitled, rude, and careless of basic hygiene. I would suggest that airline cadets are probably drawn from the same socioeconomic stratum.

Comment

Given several solo flight requirements on the path to a pilot certificate, how does the school expect to geat away with it? Regulatory issues aside, solo flight is a very important psychological milestone.

The psychological side reminds me of the short landing at SFO with four qualified pilots in the cockpit and nobody doing anything about being low and slow on final. Nobody in charge, everybody either afraid to speak up or thinking another pilot will take care of it.
        Geology rocks, but geography is where it's at.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
          The psychological side reminds me of the short landing at SFO with four qualified pilots in the cockpit and nobody doing anything about being low and slow on final. Nobody in charge, everybody either afraid to speak up or thinking another pilot will take care of it.
          I'm pretty sure those were Koreans, paralyzed by an authoritarian society. Different stereotype.
          Last edited by B.Butler; 06-10-2024, 19:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
            Given several solo flight requirements on the path to a pilot certificate, how does the school expect to geat away with it? Regulatory issues aside, solo flight is a very important psychological milestone.

Hi Ray, they likely aren't getting US certificates but you are right about the psychological effect (finally, they MUST BE PIC).

Comment

I'd probably fire the instructors first, then start afresh with those who can teach some airmanship and aircraft handling.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
                I'd probably fire the instructors first, then start afresh with those who can teach some airmanship and aircraft handling.
                And if the students are just entitled brats there to collect their paper?

It's the old story of leading a horse to water.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
                  Where do you find them?

Now we are making 1500 hour ATPs that have never flown anything other than a C-172 or Cherokee and were taught by the same,

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post

Where do you find them?

Now we are making 1500 hour ATPs that have never flown anything other than a C-172 or Cherokee and were taught by the same,
                    "Children of the Magenta Line"?

Maybe we ought to repeal the Check 21 law and go back to having to move paper checks about.

Comment

Working...
                    X