Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for refresher reading

Hello AvSig - been a minute!

I sold my last airplane about 15 years ago - I haven't flown more than the occasional hour since then, and not at all in more than 10 years. But I'm considering getting back into it, there's a local flying club that has four well-equipped C182's.

I'm PP-ASEL with Instrument - don't plan on flying IFR right away, but I'd like to get back into that eventually. Obviously I'll work with a local CFI to get current - but does anyone have any recommended reading for someone in my situation beyond the basic FAR/AIM? I'm going into the club on Monday to meet with them, joining up as a "Social" member but will then work on getting a medical & working with a CFI toward regaining currency.

It's a Brave New World... last time I flew, the iPad hadn't even been introduced yet. I had a ThinkPad X1 tablet!

Sean,
    Welcome home; we left the light on for you.

Best regards,
    Andy

Comment

The AOPA rusty pilot seminars are a good place to start. I like "live", but they also have an online course that's free to AOPA members: https://www.aopa.org/training-and-sa...-pilots-online

Sporty's has a similar course.....and you may not need the stuff that comes with the course: https://www.sportys.com/rusty-pilot-...pp-and-tv.html

The AIM nowadays is so incredibly long and turgid that I wouldn't recommend it for a returning pilot. I read it cover to cover (several times) 40 years again when I dd my private, but no way I'd recommend that someone do that today. That being said, reading it on GPS systems could be helpful.

Looking at the Instrument Flying Handbook is a good thing, the chapter (5) on flight instruments, chapter 6(II) on flying using an electronic display, and chapter 9 on nav systems are great to review. The book is old (2012), make sure you get the later revisions also available on the FAA web site (free).

There are likely a lot of YouTube videos on returning pilots, including an introduction to Foreflight or Garmin PIlot.

Welcome back! (Remind me where you are located, please)

Comment

Welcome back!

I'd guess the last time you flew, you flew behind the class "Six Pack" of instruments. These days you are more likely to fly behind a glass panel of some sort, and you'll find that you'll definitely spend some extra time trying to figure out what to look at -- especially when doing instrument work. It'll generally start to make sense after just a couple of flights.

Comment

Thanks all.

Andy, my old password still worked! I see ASI apparently runs the forum now? I see I'm a "Public guest" with a join date in 2017 - maybe something re-shuffled then.

Scott, I'm in NW Arkansas - the flying club is at KVBT/Louise Thaden field in Bentonville.

John - yes, my 2000 Saratoga had steam gauges, including HSI and FD along with a 430W/530W/MX20. The club C182s have Garmin G5 and GTN650/750 so I imagine the instrument scan is a lot different! I flew glass cockpits "a couple" of times on demo flights back then but never in instrument conditions. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Welcome home, Sean.

Bill

Comment

Welcome back. I came back after 20 years, so understand what you will go through. I suspect that things will take less time than you might think. But relax and go with the flow.

If you have 430 experience, the GTN will not be that hard to learn. For the basic stuff, you should find it very familiar. But there is a LOT more the GTN can do. There are Garmin You Tube videos, plus a paid course (free if you buy a GTN).

I found the AOPA Rusty Pilot course to be well worth the time.

Comment

You're soon off to Garmin, right Terry? Have a great learning experience there.

Comment

Yes, I am in Olathe now, class today and tomorrow. I will post about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Franklin View Post
                    Andy, my old password still worked! I see ASI apparently runs the forum now? I see I'm a "Public guest" with a join date in 2017 - maybe something re-shuffled then.
                    ASI - I think that's still Mike O. He's just incorporated as a business.
                    Correction: It was ASI back in the CompuServe days too. So, no change there.

Yes, the forum moved from UBB.threads software to vBulletin in 2017. There's a tab under the banner for seeing the 2004-2017 posts.

"Public Guest" means you don't have a paid membership. Click on the "Membership" just under the banner to fix that.

Welcome back!
                    Last edited by Russell Holton; 06-17-2024, 20:10.

Comment

Thanks Russell. I guess I was confusing "Aviation Safety Institute" with "Aviation Safety Network."

Last status I recall was "Top Gun" but I did put in a 3-year membership the other day... I'm sure Mike will get to it soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X