Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bruce Gorrell View Post

Yes.
    Bruce, you're correct. "Mox nix" as per how the power delivered to the propshaft was created!

Sure do wish now that I could find around here one of those old CV-340/440 manuals that I"d written (can see it in my mind's eye), black with green letters. It'd tell me what RPM we required from those R-2800 CB-16s. I do find here an old manual that I'd written when we introduced the Allison 501 D-13Ds into the fleet. 1967. I can still recall Red Wallis (VP Flt-Ops) putting out a note to the pilots who were gonna be flying that new 580 prop-jet - "your first day of ground school in MSP on the will be on (date), Randy says the manual for it will be done by then - if it's not, he is!" Light blue with white letters.

Several years later I rewrote all the pilot's manuals, reduced the size of them to a handbook size. I can still recall what I told the chief pilot about them - "so you can get one opened up between your gut and the control wheel".

best, randy

Comment

Well, the engine/prop check out for a maintenance test flight on a USN P-3 was complex. Beta follow up, pitch lock check, feather and unfeather by two systems, -well the total test flight with a lot of ground checks, took about 3 hours and only with qualified crews. Yep stall warning systems, angle of attack verifications, -probably more stuff than needed. Randy will remember some of the engine stuff on the turbo CV's with that same T-56 engine. Hmmm, perhaps 13,600 rpm for the jet and about 1000 for the prop?

Quite a different show for a 3350 engine and test flight on a Neptune P-2!

Regards, now off to BP's -but must leave early for a noon meeting. But I can review the vast notes from the meeting last Saturday -ya, right. Dux.

Comment

http://northwestairlineshistory.org/...newsletter.pdf

Randy -
        See page 4. Someone must have one or those!!!
        But, that's a 580 manual, not a manual for the piston powered 340/440....
        Good story here, though....

Reams
        Last edited by Reams Goodloe; 10-27-2018, 16:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Reams Goodloe View Post
          But, that's a 580 manual
          Chuckle, interesting stuff, huh? Bruce is a good chum, has showed me a lot of stuff they have in back storage. And yeah, re the photo, that's the old light blue colored 580 manual I wrote that "Red" had told someeone that if it wasn't done by the time of the first 580 ground school, I was! Anyhow also, a few years after that I finally got it written reduced in size so that the pilots could get it betweeen themselves and the control wheel.

And, couple things here also, was at our Sat. noon PB lunch today and saw Dux there, sez he's doin' OK. And I've asked and asked about anyone having one of those old piston powered Convair manuals but - so far, no luck! I do have a few copies of several other airline's manuals - but no NOR one.

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Duxbury View Post
            Hmmm, perhaps 13,600 rpmx.

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post

.....It'd tell me what RPM we required from those R-2800 CB-16s.....
              Capt. Sohn,

From the T.O. 1C-118A-1 - Flight Manual - C-118A - "Pilot will advance throttles one at a time to
              field barometric pressure, normally beginning with No.1 engine; check for an rpm of approximately
              2070 to 2170 and a fuel flow of 600 (±50) pounds per hour."

The complete manual can be downloaded from this location.

Grace and Peace,

I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
              48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post
                advance throttles one at a time to field barometric........rpm of approximately
                Yup, that was the C-118A, military version of the diesel 6. McGuire AFB had bunch of them. And, you hadn't mentioned it but the sequence of runup evnnts dictated also that that'd be to advance the power to Field Barometric" in low blower. Later on during the runup called for the shift to high blower and, IIRC, a 1 and a half" increase in MP. Been a long time ago.

best, randy

Comment

Yup, that was the C-118A, military version of the diesel 6. McGuire AFB had bunch of them. And, you hadn't mentioned it but the sequence of runup evnnts dictated also that that'd be to advance the power to Field Barometric" in low blower. Later on during the runup called for the shift to high blower and, IIRC, a 1 and a half" increase in MP. Been a long time ago.

best, randy
                  When I was a CAP cadet at summer encampment at McGuire AFB, we took a ride in a C-118.... 1962

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hartmann View Post

took a ride in a C-118
                    Yup, DC-6, C-118 to the USAF and R-6D to the Nighveee. One of my compatriots at NOR had a brother at McGuire, chief pilot of that unit, Vere Short.

best, randy

Comment

The base commander had a VERY highly polished T-33 for a personal transport. The head cadet, or whatever it was called , got a ride in the T-33. The rest of us rode backwards in the C-118.

Comment

The base commander had a VERY highly polished T-33 for a personal transport. The head cadet, or whatever it was called , got a ride in the T-33. The rest of us rode backwards in the C-118.
                        Unh-huh, a couple memories here of stuff. Russ Spicer (a general, can't recall now how many stars) was the C.O. of FLYTAF (Flying Training Air Force headquartered at Waco). He flew into Reese AFB once on an inspection tour or something and I can still recall down at Base Ops ramp looking at his personal F-86 Sabrejet. HIGHLY polished!

Can recall back when miltary transport aircraft had their PX seats facing to the rear, a crashworthiness deal.

best, randy

Comment

Can recall back when miltary transport aircraft had their PX seats facing to the rear
                          Still do in the Navy, at least the COD's.

Comment

When I was a CAP cadet at summer encampment at McGuire AFB, we took a ride in a C-118.... 1962
                            I got one parachute jump from one at Pete Field, 1964.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
                              Still do in the Navy, at least the COD's.
                              In my book, a COD has a much higher chance of a ditching or worse while landing, dunno first hand tho. IIRC, all the transports that I flew (C-54s, C-97s, C-118s, etc., ended up with forward facing seats.

best, randy

Comment

In my book, a COD has a much higher chance of a ditching or worse
                                You'd think so, but last I heard the Navy claims the COD's have never put a man in the water.

Gotta say, my one cat launch in an aft-facing seat was memorable...;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X