Solos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll never forget my first solo! It was in a C152 at KFCM. Maybe the same one John flew.....N93564 which I affectionately called the PuttPutt. My instructor had asked me a few days earlier if I wanted him to get out so I could fly alone, and I said "no, thanks, not today". I don't know why, but the thought scared the beejezus out of me at that moment (probably because I'm not a natural pilot.....).

Then, on the Fourth of July he asked the same question, and I told him to yes, get his butt out of the plane! After I launched my first thought was "There's nobody in here with me" and then "Oh s**t, I have to land it now". I did three awesome laps in the pattern, even with the first landing being kind of a t**d (again, probably because I'm not a natural pilot.....). It was so much fun I almost didn't come back in. The Tower complimented me on my radio work and landings (confirming the well-known issues with parallax and the view from the KFCM Tower...). So, July 4, 2019 will mark the 19th anniversary of that flight - I've always loved the Fourth, and soloing that day makes it even more fun!
    Not a natural pilot.....

Comment

Working...
    X