New Glider Altitude Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Glider Altitude Record

The Perlan 2, an experimental glider, has set a world record for high-altitude flight. It reached 76,100 feet over the El Calafate region in Argentina.
    Hate is a self-built dungeon in which a man imprisons his own soul.

And I thought I did a good one with 32,000...

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
      76,100 feet
      "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
        And I thought I did a good one with 32,000...
        "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

One of my Army buddies talks about high altitude mapping using a Mohawk.
          I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
          48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

I read about the previous record and this one. The glider is actually pressurized.

And they did a tow up to 40K. So, while very high, not so much altitude gain.

My best was 18,000 in WV in a Grob 102.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
              My best was.
              Wow, just readin' here and am jsut amazed, we had a Schwiezer (spellling?) 1-23 at Lubbock/Hobbs and thought I was lucky to be able to fly it a few times.

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post
                Schwiezer (spellling?) 1-23
                Schweizer. German fiberglass squeezed them out of the glider market a while back and they're a helicopter company now, though there are a lot of their products still flying. Their 2-32 had a wide back seat that could hold two people, and most of that fleet got bought up by a tourist-ride chain.

Comment

The glider is actually pressurized.
                  http://perlanproject.org/

And they did a tow up to 40K. So, while very high, not so much altitude gain.
                  able to continue on up!

My best was 18,000 in WV in a Grob 102.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
                    Schweizer. German fiberglass squeezed them out of the glider market a while back and they're a helicopter company now, though there are a lot of their products still flying. Their 2-32 had a wide back seat that could hold two people, and most of that fleet got bought up by a tourist-ride chain.
                    And how many people got their primary training in a 2-33, or the predecessor, the 2-22, also known as the Brick. ]

And the 1-26 is still a well patronized one design class.

I have time in 2-33, 1-26, and 1-36.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
                      The old "coffin corner" where Vne (TAS) comes to meet Stall speed (IAS).

No, the used a tow plane to 40K, not the wave. In that region, the bottom of the wave could be well into the upper 20s, low 30s.

Even more impressive, I did a 1+10 in a 2-33 in thermals just west of San Antonio.

Comment

And how many people got their primary training in a 2-33, or the predecessor, the 2-22, also known as the Brick. ]

And the 1-26 is still a well patronized one design class.

I have time in 2-33, 1-26, and 1-36.
                        Soloed in 2-22, 2-33 & 1-26 on 3/24/1966.
                        Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches . . .
                        ( . . . and Mechanics without Pilots are Unemployed.)

Comment

Good to see that many avsiggers have sailplane experience in their past.
                          Hard to pinpoint exactly any one thing about that background that forever makes you a better pilot, but better pilot you are.

Regards,
                          Tom Charlton

Comment

Hard to pinpoint exactly any one thing about that background that forever makes you a better pilot, but better pilot you are.
                            How about stick-and-rudder skills and a solid feel for energy management? I got mine in wood-and-fabric taildraggers without flaps. Aerobatics in a Stearman were a big part of it for me. Cubs on wheels and skis did a lot, too.

Lotsa "systems operators" with pilot certificates these automated, glass cockpit days.

(My glider time is one ride.)
                            Hate is a self-built dungeon in which a man imprisons his own soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
                              How about stick-and-rudder skills and a solid feel for energy management? I got mine in wood-and-fabric taildraggers without flaps. Aerobatics in a Stearman were a big part of it for me. Cubs on wheels and skis did a lot, too.
                              Lotsa "systems operators" with pilot certificates these automated, glass cockpit days.

Comment

Working...
                              X