Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
    and skis
    Chuckle, readin' all this made me recall learning to fly in an Aeronca Champ on skis (no brakes). Made me REALLY aware of something one fine day. An ice covered ramp and headed for a hanagr is NOT a good place!

best, randy

Comment

I got as far as soloing in a glider. Not much lift in Faribault, MN in the late fall. Definitely improved stick and rudder and energy management skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
        Good to see that many avsiggers have sailplane experience in their past.
        Hard to pinpoint exactly any one thing about that background that forever makes you a better pilot, but better pilot you are.

Regards,
        Tom Charlton
        Understanding that the pedals on the floor are not only for steering on the ground.

Gliders and taildraggers teach this. Or actually DEMAND it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
          Or until the flight crew pancakes your airliner into the Atlantic because nobody recognizes we're in a deep stall <ng>
          IMO, that one was not understanding a full stall in a swept wing aircraft. They do not stall like straight wings do. No nose drop.

We did a fall aft stick stall in the T-38. Nose stayed slightly above the horizon, wings rattled. Otherwise, quite unimpressive. Until you saw the VVI was pegged, and the T-38 VVI indicated up to 6000 FPM up or down.

I did mine over thin layer, and the ground rush was eye opening.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post

Understanding that the pedals on the floor are not only for steering on the ground. .........Or actually DEMAND it.
            Chuckle, "Ns, L!"

best, randy

Comment

Working...
            X