Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
    From the National WWII Museum US MILITARY CASUALTIES IN WORLD WAR II

Army and Air Force 318,274 565,861
    Navy 62,614 37,778
    Marines 24,511 68,207
    Coast Guard 1,917 Unknown
    TOTAL 407,316 671,278
    Dave, what do the numbers represent? Killed? Accidents? Injured? What does column 1 represent? Column 2?

Comment

That was done on my I-Phone. Here's a better copy. Unfortunately, the pilots of each service aren't shown separately. It's one of he issues in researching this. That's why I thought the paper posted above was so helpful. US Military Casualties in World War II

Army and Air Force 318,274 565,861
      Navy 62,614 37,778
      Marines 24,511 68,207
      Coast Guard 1,917 Unknown
      TOTAL 407,316 671,278

Merchant Marine Casualties

Died as POWs 37
      Dead 5,662
      Missing/Presumed Dead 4,780
      Killed at Sea 845

Comment

I just finished reading the entire report. Nice compilation of a lot of aircraft accidents during WWII. The tables at the end are worth saving for future discussions.

I'm reminded of the description I read many years ago about a raid on Europe before precision bombing became the rule. One hundred bombers, 1,000 men, went on a daylight raid. When the crews saw the lead bomber drop his bombs, they would drop theirs. Just the lead bombardier called the shots. All lead by a 26-year-old lieutenant colonel, with less than 400 hours in his log book.

The reason that it's significant is because this report on WWII aircraft accidents only mentioned once, in passing, the young age of the pilots. I can remember many r8sky things I did at age 21 I would never have done 5 or so years later. Many of the aircraft commanders were 21 years old. I believe that was a factor in the number of accidents.

Comment

For some reason the column titles won’t copy. The left is deaths, the right is casualties.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward Miller View Post
            Many of the aircraft commanders were 21 years old.
            The B-25 that hit the Empire State Bldg was flown by a 27-year-old L/C...but his log had 1000 hours and one war in it.

Comment

In Max Hastings’ book on page 318 it says: By 1945, every heavy bomber carried an extraordinary weight of high technology and skilled manpower to operate it. A B-24 Liberator contained 1,550,000 separate parts.

Does that sound accurate?

Comment

If so, then the average part weighed 0.28 ounces or 8 grams (27,500 lbs/1,550,000). Sounds doubtful.
                Last edited by Rod Madsen; 04-15-2019, 19:23.
                regards, Rod

Comment

They must be counting rivets :-)

Comment

They must be counting rivets :-)
                    Definitely. 0.28 ounces would be in a comparable order of magnitude for a rivet

Comment

Another figure in Hasting’s book: in January 1944, during the RAF’s so-called Battle of Berlin, Bomber Command lost 314 aircraft, or 5 percent of its strength, on every raid. Since a British bomber crew was obligated to carry out thirty operations to complete a tour of operations, and an American crew twenty-five, it needed no wizard of odds to compute that an airman was more likely to die than to survive his personal experience of bombing Germany.

Comment

The above was on page 300

Comment

an airman was more likely to die than to survive his personal experience of bombing Germany.
                          Yep: that's a 21% survival rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
                            ferry an airplane cross country:

"What kind of airplane?"
                            "B-29."
                            "Never flown one."
                            "Here's the manual, there's your crew."
                            Chuckled here - then I got to think'n 'bout it and me at China Lake with 44-62070!
                            "What kind of airplane?"
                            "B-29."
                            "Never flown one."
                            "You did bring your own manual, right?" "And your crew?"

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post
                              Chuckled here - then I got to think'n 'bout it and me at China Lake with 44-62070!
                              "What kind of airplane?"
                              "B-29."
                              "Never flown one."
                              "You did bring your own manual, right?" "And your crew?"
                              Hi Randy,
                              Well . . . you did have a bit of time in her Stratocrusier progeny. Almost the same thing . . . right<grin>.
                              Did your side saddle guy have any 29 time?

Regards,
                              Tom Charlton
                              "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
                                Well . . . you did have a bit of time in her Stratocrusier progeny.........Did your side saddle guy have any 29 time?
                                Tomasina, now you made me think back, I've sorta lost track now of just who WAS along with me on that recovery mission. Been a l-o-n-g time ago! I do remember that L.P.'d told the CAF's GS - "Well, hell's bells, the kidz flown both the R-3350s on the 7s and the "corncobs" on the 97s and he's been instructing on our B-17 and the thing's gotta fly about like the C-97s!" "So tell'im to recheck the repack date on their parachutes and get going, that airplane will complete our WWII collection".

I do know that Darrell Skurich was along, took a lot of faith for that ex fighter pilot to come along in that back end with someone who'd never flown the machine before. I do remember now that he'd been with me the day before when we arrived at China Lake/Inyokern and the USN's "shore patrol" had tossed us in their base hoosegow for some reason, can't recall now why, had to be one of those misunderstandings! And the flight engineer, for some reason now his name escapes me, Duane Egli meb'be?, he'd been out in Tucson at the USAF boneyard getting variuos flotsam from that big surplus storage area ready to ferry/fly so yes, he knew how to get it started and running.

And the co-pilot "Marvelous L" Gardner was a fighter pilot but Lefty'd flown B-17s in the big war. And Roger Baker hadn't yet figured out how to mutter "Nope, see'ya".

Been a long time ago now!

best, randy

Comment

Working...
                                X