• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugliest planes?

AF Times takes a shot at them.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/y...est-airplanes/

I like this comment, in the Air Force Times:
    The X-32 was Boeing’s unfortunate entry in the program to develop a Joint Strike Fighter suitable for the U.S. Air Force, Navy, Marines, RAF and Royal Navy. Since Defense Department officials have yet to learn that a one-size-fits-all fighter is dumb, we should consider ourselves lucky they didn’t also demand regional-airliner capability.

Comment

The Airtruk appeared in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.

Comment

I recall when Stephan Wilkinon was one of us.

Comment

Originally posted by B.Butler View Post
          I recall when Stephan Wilkinson was one of us.
          Bill -- Indeed.

Ward, he flew out of POU, right? Or am I making that up?

Comment

Scott, Steve Wilkinson lives in that river town just north of West Point. Can't remember the name right now; Cornwall?. While he was active here I don't think he was flying. Many years ago he was editor of Flying magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward Miller View Post
              Scott, Steve Wilkinson lives in that river town just north of West Point. Can't remember the name right now; Cornwall?. While he was active here I don't think he was flying. Many years ago he was editor of Flying magazine.
              Ward -- Just north of Storm King? If so, yeah, Cornwall. I'd thought he'd had an aircraft in the area.....but your memory has proved superior to mine time and time again.

Comment

Just checked his Facebook page and yes, he lives in Cornwall NY.

If I remember correctly, the Falco he built was sold and flown to Australia by way of Europe and Asia. THAT must have been a real adventure for the new owner.
                Last edited by Tom Tyson; 05-23-2019, 08:23.
                Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches . . .
                ( . . . and Mechanics without Pilots are Unemployed.)

Comment

You're correct, Tom, and I apologize, Scott. He built a Falco and kept it at KPOU, until he sold it. Haven't heard a peep from him in years.

Comment

You're correct, Tom, and I apologize, Scott. He built a Falco and kept it at KPOU, until he sold it. Haven't heard a peep from him in years.
                    I had somewhere in the back of my mind that it was something he built/experimental! No need for an apology Ward, you've had things right more often than I in the memory department.

Comment

The Falco.

Read more about the Falco from Stephan here: http://www.seqair.com/Hangar/Wilkins.../FlightOf.html
                      Last edited by Tom Tyson; 05-23-2019, 12:12.
                      Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches . . .
                      ( . . . and Mechanics without Pilots are Unemployed.)

Comment

I have the plans and a serial number to build a Falco.

Tom, you want to built it????

Comment

Stephan wrote a "Flying" article about Ernie Gann's DC-3 flight from NJ to Wilkes-Barre. He is a very gifted writer.

Comment

Stephan wrote a "Flying" article about Ernie Gann's DC-3 flight from NJ to Wilkes-Barre. He is a very gifted writer.
                            Good gtirf, you're correct! Read that so many moons ago! Ernie called me once when he was in town here to get his "noon balloon" (can't recall now what kind of airplane it was) worked on, took him alomg to QBs with me that night. Anyone here got any idea of how to contact Stephen?

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post
                              Anyone here got any idea of how to contact Stephen?
                              845-534-7601 stephwilkinson@earthlink.net Those are old, so may not be valid now.

Comment

Working...
                              X