Navy pilot who shot down R MIGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy pilot who shot down R MIGs

All Hands mag talks about a top secret encounter now declassified.

https://www.facebook.com/AllHandsMag...2394789485409/

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
    All Hands mag talks about a top secret encounter now declassified.
    https://www.facebook.com/AllHandsMag...2394789485409/
    Hi Dave,
    Thanks for sharing that. What a personal burden it must be to contain a story like that. Got to be tons of stories like this. Thinking of countless Special Forces operations out on the end of a very long branch. Virtually all of our submarine operations. (Sub novel fan-boy)
    Likely SeƱor Siciliano has a tale or three held in reserve. Although I loved the one bout printing money<g>.

Regards,
    Tom Charlton (whose only classified missions involve one or two bars in a land far away and a time long ago<g>)
    "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

In this day of mass media attention and self aggrandizement, it's nice to hear of folks that did things like this without seeking attention.

Comment

In this day of mass media attention and self aggrandizement, it's nice to hear of folks that did things like this without seeking attention.
        Incredible story, through Korea and Viet Nam.
        I did get a kick out of the number of different type airplanes in the video... F9F, F86, maybe a Skyray?... and the Mig 15s.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
          Virtually all of our submarine operations. (Sub novel fan-boy)
          I assume you have read Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post

I assume you have read Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage
            Fabulous book, that is.

Comment

I'll put that on my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
                Hi Terry,
                Checking my books spreadsheet: Yup, six years ago. Thinking I just might light it up again on the Kindle. Thanks for the reminder.

Submarine operations may well be the ultimate cat -n- mouse game. I blame T. Clancy for my addiction.

Somewhat claustrophobic, Iā€™d likely not be suited for the undersea life but what they do is very fascinating.

Regards,
                Tom Charlton
                "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

<<Tom Clancy...addiction>>

Watched it again last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hartmann View Post

Incredible story, through Korea and Viet Nam.
                    I did get a kick out of the number of different type airplanes in the video... F9F, F86, maybe a Skyray?... and the Mig 15s.
                    Given that we're talking about a Navy pilot, might the F-86 actually be an FJ-2 or FJ-3? Similar looking, but quite different, including folding wings.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Ray Tackett; 08-02-2019, 19:53.
                    Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

might the F-86 actually be an FJ-2 or FJ-3?
                      In the video, it said USAF on the wing...
                      Whoever put the video together didn't know their airplanes.

Comment

In the video, it said USAF on the wing...
                        Ah so. Couldn't see the video here; I locked Facebook out of my firewall a while back.
                        Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

I'm shocked, SHOCKED.

Comment

I believe he was flying an F9F.
                            https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F9F_Panther

Comment

Possibly the coolest looking jet ever designed.

Deck crews remembered them for the difficult wing fold. The prototype wing folded to a vertical position, but then fuel consumption forced Grumman to add tip tanks that exceeded the hangar deck height limit -- so they had to limit the fold angle to an outward spread condition that increased the total width and made deck spotting difficult.

The F9F's put on a great show in The Bridges at Toko-Ri.

Comment

Working...
                              X