CAS from armed Caravans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post
    The latest generation of shoulder fired missiles only needs a reflection off the windshield and it's got-cha.
    Who builds them? "Us" or "them"?

I see there are models that are laser guided or even remotely guided, but they seem to require a lot of training and are built by "us" so we're not as likely to come up against them. The soviet stuff seemed to be IR. But that was on a very quick read. I could be overlooking something.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
      I didn’t realize how much the Stinger was used in Afghanistan.
      This gives perspective.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wobG_6...ature=youtu.be
      We were selling Stingers to the Afghans back when they were fighting the Russians.

Comment

Yes, I knew we were providing them. Had no idea it was that many. All hush hush at the time, of course. Game changer.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post

Who builds them? "Us" or "them"?

I see there are models that are laser guided or even remotely guided, but they seem to require a lot of training and are built by "us" so we're not as likely to come up against them. The soviet stuff seemed to be IR. But that was on a very quick read. I could be overlooking something.
          The SA-7 was that way in Vietnam. There is always heat.
          I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
          48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
            Yes, I knew we were providing them. Had no idea it was that many. All hush hush at the time, of course. Game changer.
            Charlie Wilson's War

Comment

Reporting on flipping old threads, but once again "Lord Random is back"...

Rather often, an "empty" simple plane with an OK Corral 38 thru the window can be an acceptably decent tool. Loading off and on any kind of teams that are not printed on cardboard... No. Specially a Caravan, that looks STOL but still needs a stupidly big surface (AKA local flipping airport, specially to TO with any kind of load beyond the weight of your own digital docs) to do that ,no matter how good your playing at flaps and extracting stall yelling fuses.

On Stingers and the like... A pipe is cheap, but the arrown isn't. Cheapy flying cans, like a 208, can (and will) be flown low anyway, so it takes awful loads of good practice, luck and a big lot of help from a long slip-up from the (first idea was typing "idiot" here, but I'll try and edit) pilot getting out for the buddy on the ground to hit something that affects the original flight plan.

Getting a lock on anything? Not gonna happen. In that kind of scenario, the only chance is filling the sky with lead awfully interested in meeting you -at an often too expensive price too for that meeting to happen- and hoping for the best. Then, a simple plane that can fly around forever with a buch of big holes all over the tin -that will only be found at annual-is the ideal tool.

Or not! =P

Comment

Originally posted by J. Carretero View Post
                "Lord Random is back"...

=P
                Pop quiz, milord:

Mexico has the largest Spanish speaking population in the world. Who is second?

Memo de Oregon
                Last edited by B.Butler; 11-04-2020, 18:27.

Comment

Always entertaining these games at the court, Lord Butler:

Colombia, I'd say, although not far followed by the pot Kingdom where it all was cooked. At least we made it to the podium... unless you come up with different -and surely more accurate- data.

Ho-Zay de Jaén

PS: and I'd actually say if the errors while trying let me do so

Comment

Always entertaining these games at the court, Lord Butler:

Colombia, I'd say, although not far followed by the pot Kingdom where it all was cooked. At least we made it to the podium... unless you come up with different -and surely more accurate- data.

Ho-Zay de Jaén

PS: and I'd actually say if the errors while trying let me do so
                    Los Estados Unidos De Norte America
                    Tu amigo Memo

Comment

Dammit, Memo, you put Ole Spainland in fourth place and out of the podium with your facts! <G>

Answer looks way more obvious now.

¡Gracias por el juego y por el dato!
                      Your friend,Ho-Zay

Comment

Answer looks way more obvious now.
                        We travel to Mexico (Jalisco) once or twice every year, and no one ever guesses this; a great conversation starter. But it reveals a greater truth. In addition to the immigrants and their children, there is a wave of Anglos, particularly in the West, who recognize the demographic shift and are working with it for cultural, commercial, political purposes, or simply because it is inevitable.

My wife and I each have college level abilities; "high-functioning touristas", but it is in the next generation that it becomes significant. Our very Anglo daughter has studied Spanish since early kindergarten and is truly fluent, although it took several years to extinguish the Argentine accent she brought home from Señor Vasquez. ("amarizho")

She is currently teaching (virtually) in the Seattle public schools in a school where 65 por ciento of the students speak Spanish at home.

<<deriva de narración>>
                        Last edited by B.Butler; 11-08-2020, 23:59.

Comment

¿Deriva? I see no drift here. Talking about another language, commercial reasons behind learning it, which means expanding the potential customers for a armed Caravan...

Argentinian is a fine accent to have, actually, with a very rich and elegant vocabulary... if she manages to get rid of their particular use of verbs and words from the "lunfardo" when teaching Spanish <g>

Comment

Speaking of lunfardo, I've been told that "Memo" has an alternate meaning in Old World Spanish. ?Verdadamente?

Speaking of the incipient drift to bilingual culture in Los Estados, last year, the Oregon Shakespeare presented a telenovela entirely in Spanish, with an occasional English "voice-over" to explain salient plot points. Usually to hilarious effect.

They have also produced an excellent sequel to the Grapes of Wrath which reveals that Tom Joad escapes to Mexico where he sires the Jodes familia who return to Bakersfield as braceros...
                            Last edited by B.Butler; 11-10-2020, 18:57.

Comment

That should read, Oregon Shakespeare Festival.

Comment

Dammit! Had some problems sending the original answer eons ago and looks like I never got to copy/paste/send what I wrote on a Word document. Short version from what I can remember:

Yyyep, "memo" has a different meaning. As the adjective it is at this side, it wouldn't define a smart or quick individual.

Shakesperean telenovelas! Something I'd definitely ejoy!

The Grapes of the Wrath of Khan... I think I met some Jodes further South in Chile and northern Argentina. They owned a couple touristic resorts in Reñaca, by Viña del Mar, while their cousin run a huge farm near the Bolivian border at the other side of the Andes. "My father kicked me out when I was just 30. All you see here, I built it myself with hard work, ingenuity, pride and the million Dollars I had". Part of the lineage might not have had a protruding sense of orientation when they started their peregrination back to the US, yet their pride, hard work and some pocket change earned them a shinny future by the beach and in the Tropic... although I wouldn't recommend trying to specify which Tropic it was.

The original answer might have been different, but anyway...

Comment

Working...
                                X