What in the purple hell was that???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post

Ray -- ADS-B operates at 978 and 1090 MHz. The echoes that are discussed are from primary radar, not DME/Mode C transponders, as I understand it.
    Yep, and radar used to operate in what is now the FM broadcast band. Shorter wavelengths equal more fun with reflections, absorbtion, and interference patterns, regardless of the information which modulates the carriers.

Back in the mode C days, when I was flying traffic watch on weekday evenings, I almost got in Class B trouble due to a flaky transponder. It had me at illegal altitudes, and very erratic speed indications (evidently variations in return latency). Eventually PNE Tower got hold of me on the radio, and asked me to make a pass over the airport at a particular altitude and airspeed. Their radar display was showing crazy stuff coming from my transponder, but looking out the window, it was obvious I was doing what I had been told.

That, and the fact that I interacted professionally with towers at PHL, PNE and sometimes TTN several times every day gave me a far better reputation than any piece of hardware from Happy Herbie's Used Airplane Lot. (That's what I called the excessively low-budget flight school/rental/charter biz I flew for.)
    Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
      Shorter wavelengths equal more fun with reflections, absorbtion, and interference patterns, regardless of the information which modulates the carriers.
      As I understand it, ADS-B is usually triggered by a radar sweep. In a congested airspace with multiple radars, two transponders could be triggered at the same time. The parity bits may not catch the corruption every time.

What we're seeing is a "still". I'd like to see what the "movie" it comes from reveals.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
        As I understand it, ADS-B is usually triggered by a radar sweep. In a congested airspace with multiple radars, two transponders could be triggered at the same time. The parity bits may not catch the corruption every time.

What we're seeing is a "still". I'd like to see what the "movie" it comes from reveals.
        No, Russell, ADS-B out transmits every second, regardless of radar coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post

Yep, and radar used to operate in what is now the FM broadcast band. Shorter wavelengths equal more fun with reflections, absorbtion, and interference patterns, regardless of the information which modulates the carriers.
          Today's primary radar is S band, 2.42.7 GHz. Nothing like 978 or 1090 MHz.

Comment

No, Russell, ADS-B out transmits every second, regardless of radar coverage.
            Either way, in a congested airspace, packets will get stepped on.

Comment

But missing packets will not make MACH 4+ speeds show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
                But missing packets will not make MACH 4+ speeds show up.
                And, if erroneous data is shown on a 1 second burst of received data subject to interference, it will be corrected in the next second. There are a lot more ADS-B receivers out there than radar sensors, too, so interference at the source isn't the same problem.

Comment

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting or building an ADS-B receiver and plugging it into that website to improve coverage. I'll have to see if I can do it for under 0.1 AMUs

Comment

This will get you started on hardware, Steph. https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build

Comment

This will get you started on hardware, Steph. https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build
                      Thanks. If I do it, I'll feed it to ADS-B Exchange, as they claim that they don't filter the results.

Comment

I've got one of these feeding up into Flightaware.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie Belser View Post

Thanks. If I do it, I'll feed it to ADS-B Exchange, as they claim that they don't filter the results.
                          Yeah, I know, but aside from the software it gives you an idea of hardware requirements.

Comment

Are those the ones we built in DLH at the GIG a few years ago?
                            Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches . . .
                            ( . . . and Mechanics without Pilots are Unemployed.)

Comment

Those were ADS-B In receivers, not the Out receivers. Got wx, traffic, etc. Even from the back seat of the KingAir....

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tyson View Post
                                Are those the ones we built in DLH at the GIG a few years ago?
                                Not exactly, but they are 90% the same under the hood. Both are based on a Raspberry Pi, and both use software-defined radios to tune in the appropriate frequencies. Both also use about 80% of the same software too.

Comment

Working...
                                X