• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fifi

YouTube

Originally posted by Mase Taylor View Post
    YouTube[
    Chuckle, guess now you can see why we picked that airplane out as probably requiring the least plexi-glass replacement before I ferried her back to HRL from China Lake NAS at Inyokern.

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post
      we picked that airplane out as probably requiring the least plexi-glass
      Shoulda seen Bock's Car after the B-36 sat on it...;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
        Shoulda seen Bock's Car after the B-36 sat on it...;-)
        Yeah Ralph, I did, wow! Sure tho a whole lotta difference between the US's treasury and our CAF's collective billfolds.

Anyhow, re the Bock's Car, one year I took FIFI up to OSH and saw Chuck Sweeney on the ramp there during briefing when we were fixing to go fly in the show. Yelled at him - "Comemon, climb up here and come along with us". Told me he prolly couldn't get up thru the entrance hatch, gained too much weight since WWII.

best, randy

Comment

For those who didn't hear the story: Circa 1960's the AF Museum was in an old hangar on the Patterson Field side of WPAFB, with most of the larger airplanes parked outside. We had an ice storm that built up a big load on the B-36, and it did a tail-sit, its stabilizer bashing in the nose of Bock's Car (with much more damage than Japan ever inflicted on it). There was a second B-36 all by itself on the Wright Field side that did the same thing.

They did a temporary fix with a stack of railroad ties, and later fabricated tail stands.

Comment

I seem to remember Randy noted that the engines for FIFI were from prior USN AD 3350's? Perhaps I'm on this new avsig?

Regards, Dux from sunny Tucson and still seeing a lot of A-10's in the air.

Comment

You are here!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Duxbury View Post
                I seem to remember Randy noted that the engines for FIFI were from prior USN AD 3350's? Perhaps I'm on this new avsig?

Glade to see you back. I was starting to worry.
                I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
                48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Glad to see you got in!

Comment

seem to remember Randy noted that the engines for FIFI were from prior USN AD 3350's?
                    Dux, glad to see that you're here once again! I sorta lose track of all the details but seem to recall that we had to replace those R-3350-56 engines that I ferried it home with. IIRC, Anderson Airmotice overhauled/built up the replacement engines from parts we had from C-119s and Skyraiders. Remember that the 29's engines were turbo-supercharged.

best,randy

Comment

one year I took FIFI
                      Mike, a thought here, could/can you move the "B-29/FiFI" subject here on Avsig to some new general subject heading/whatever/?, meb'be "Military Surplus" or "Military Antiques" or something like that/whatever since now there's more than one B-29 out on the airshow circuit and they - as well as many others - are antiques?

best, randy

Comment

Mike, a thought here, could/can you move the "B-29/FiFI" subject here on Avsig to some new general subject heading/whatever/?, meb'be "Military Surplus" or "Military Antiques" or something like that/whatever since now there's more than one B-29 out on the airshow circuit and they - as well as many others - are antiques?

best, randy
                        Good idea, Randy. Done and done. (Feel free to post your F-35 ride reports and updates on classified hardware here as well, folks).

Comment

Working...
                        X