New Plane for Gil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
    C-130A had 3 blade props. C-130 had the short nose.
    I think that nose is a special mission thing.

Comment

No, the original planes did not seem to have the radome.

If you check out the TV show Steve Canyon, available on Peacock or Amazon Prime, you can see a very early one in one episode. The TV show as 58-59, so WAY before the Special Ops versions.

It seems only the early C-130As were like this.

Last edited by Terry Carraway; 01-25-2024, 09:22.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1163487610_e12941b875_b.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	25307

Comment

Did I already tell this story? The A models had a horrible reputation for prop beat problems. When I graduated from UPT, I was ranked number 20 in my class. Number 19 was a guy named Ron Burt. As we went down the selections, there were a few C-130E models and then some A models.

In 1969, the only A models were based in Okinawa or were in the Guard and Reserve. When it was Ron's turn to pick, there was one E model left, and he turned to me and said he would take the A model because he was married, and Okinawa was an accompanied tour. I was single and might be sent right to Taiwan for the Vietnam missions, and Taiwan was not an accompanied tour. Ron was playing it safe for himself and his marriage.

A week or two later, the orders were cut. Ron was going to Okinawa. With his bride. I got orders for Topeka, Kansas.

That was 1969. Two years later, after volunteering, I did get sent to Taiwan and left my wife behind in Wisconsin. But that is another story....

Comment

Working...
          X