Long Flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Flight

Just did Denver (KBJC) to home (0W3 - NE MD) non-stop. 1333 nm straight line.

7 hours in the air, landed with about 26 gallons of fuel left.

I filed direct. I got the PLAINS departure to AKO direct. I had one deviation for weather, and then direct again. It is nice flying in the teens.

I LIKE my Mooney.

To compare, flying non-stop commercial is 3 hours 33 minutes. Plus getting to the airport 2 hours ahead of time, plus parking and getting to the terminal (30 min) and driving (1 hour) from BWI to my house (7 minutes from my hangar) adds up to over 5 hours. Assuming your flight is not cancelled.
    Last edited by Terry Carraway; 06-29-2023, 08:42.

What’d it take you going west, fella?

I just sat out a 54 hour delay MSP-LGA, many wx cancellations and couldn’t get a seat until last night. A real CF. It would have been a decent trip in the 210, fly up to the weather in PA, spend the night and then continue early morning before things built again.

Comment

Funny thing was, the first leg westbound (0W3 to KROG, Rogers AK) had tailwinds also. I did that one in 5.5 hour engine start to shutdown.

Then 2 hours to KGGG for Mooney Max. 1.6 to over to Mineral Wells, and the 4.0 to Denver (KBJC)

Oh, commercial would have been around 6.5 from driving into the airport to home. And about 45 minute longer drive from my friends house.

Comment

Last time I had a nice tailwind going westbound, which took me nicely to Chicago non-stop, was still there when I came home 2 days later...and I had to refuel on the EASTBOUND leg!

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
          Just did Denver (KBJC) to home (0W3 - NE MD) non-stop. 1333 nm straight line.

7 hours in the air, landed with about 26 gallons of fuel left.
          Wow. Even with a piddle pack, I'm not sure I could last 7 hours without a stop. I know the C210 isn't likely too, either. I've flown 5 hours 15 minutes twice. My typical flight-planned leg is 3:30 or shorter.

Glad it worked out for you! That is amazing.

Comment

I have done a number of longer flights. 6 hours home to Sarasota. 5.5 from home to Space Coast (yes I did visit Tom). 5.5 home to Rogers AR. 4 Mineral Wells to Denver.

But once you get into the teens, it doesn't make sense to come down unless you are at your destination or need to.

BTW, I burned less than 80 gallons BJC to 0W3.

Comment

BTW, I burned less than 80 gallons BJC to 0W3.
              Wow. Nice.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2173 JPG.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	24570

Comment

What was your fuel burn gph?

Comment

Also EGT/CHTs?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
                      What was your fuel burn gph?
                      10.1 GPH

Comment

Originally posted by A. Niemyer View Post
                        Also EGT/CHTs?
                        CHTs were under 370. I try to keep them under 380. 343, 362, 366, 340, 364, 319

I don't recall EGTs. The one pic I have of the JPI does not have numbers. I can get them later off the data.

TIT was 1610 on the JPI. Stock gauge was reading under 1400. I think the probe is shot, I am having a new one installed.

Comment

10.1 GPH
                          That's what I was afraid of....2/3 of mine! IHM (I Hate Moonies).

Comment

(I Hate Moonies) Be nice now Scott!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X