Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which iPad and Which ForeFlight?

I figure I should go electronic.

So, do I really need a full size iPad, or will be my Mini be enough? If I get a full size iPad, do I really need cellular, or can I hot spot off my phone? How much memory do I need? Right now, VFR only, I but I expect to need approach plates.

Which level of Fore Flight should I get? Looking at the features, it seems that Performance Plus is a bit much. The only big thing that looks worthwhile in Pro Plus over Basic, is the georeferenced approach and taxi. But if the aircraft I am flying all have Garmin GPS, is that worth the extra cost?

Thanks.

As with all things aviation-related, it's going to depend on what you hope to accomplish. Since you mentioned approach plates, I'm inclined to believe that you will be getting into IFR flying? And if so, the mini is going to be more likely to fit on a yoke mount or a window mount in a small cockpit. The potential tradeoff is that there isn't much screen real-estate so if you prefer larger font sizes, that could make seeing the bigger picture a bit more challenging. My company iPad is a 3rd Generation iPad Air which is huge and doesn't really fit in any yoke or window mount I own, but the screen is big enough to make seeing the charts really easy.

As for storage, I would spring for the most you can afford, but no less than 64 GB. My company iPad has 64 GB and can carry VFR, Low IFR, and NACO/Jepp charts for the contiguous 48, but it's been complaining to me about not having enough whenever the big sectional updates happen.

And with Foreflight, I subscribe to the Pro Plus plan. There are two big things I like about this plan over the Basic. One is the addition of the surface analysis overlay on the Maps tab which I mostly put over sectional charts as it gives me the best resolution when trying to figure out just where those dang fronts are. The second is the terrain profile view which allows me to take the route I've just drawn and display it from a side view so I can see how close it is to those big hills in Colorado. I also like the geo-referencing, but I rarely use it since most of my trips are to simplified non-towered airports; if you are about to head out to a whole bunch of new airports with control towers, it's certainly a useful thing to have. The Performance Plus plan seems to be better suited to a contract or commercial pilot who doesn't already have other flight planning or performance apps that they use.

Lastly, if you can do it, I recommend getting an iPad with Wi-Fi and cellular, however, the cellular likely isn't going to work once you're in the air, especially if you're over unpopulated areas. Having a cellular-capable iPad is really useful for last-minute and surprise flight planning, particularly if you have to divert somewhere and the FBO is closed or doesn't have Wi-Fi. To be honest, though, I have used my phone's hotspot for this as well when on the ground.

Good luck!

Comment

Depending on where you're flying to, having a iPad with cellular with a different carrier than your phone may not be a bad thing. Belt and suspenders. Both in coverage and if your phone decides to die.

Comment

First -- Apple introduced a brand new iPad mini with really good specs this week, so if you go Mini, be sure to get the new one -- the older one is getting a little long in the tooth.

I fly Cessna 172s, 182s, and 210s. I use a full size (11") iPad Pro. I use a yoke mount, and use it in horizontal layout. It works well for me. I'd really love to get by with mini, but even with progressive lens, my eyes much prefer looking at the full-size iPad. My students use a mix. My students also have a mix of yoke mounts, or window mounts, but I hate to block that view out window.

I have always purchased the cellular versions because I like having a GPS in my iPad. The WiFi only units don't get a GPS radio. It isn't terribly important in the cockpit, if you are being fed ADS-B data from some other device with a GPS, but for use on the ground, it is great (ie, using it with Yelp to find restaurants...

I used them for years without even activating the cellular plan. About 2 years ago I learned about the T-Mobile 5 GB for 5 months for $10 dollar plan. It works GREAT for my low-data needs on the iPad. Basically, I use it when on runways, or at Oshkosh. Most other times on on WiFi somewhere.

I like the Ram X-mounts.

As far Foreflight version -- I don't remember what features come with what versions. As an instructor, I have ForeFlight Performance Plus USA. Thankfully, as a member of SAFE I get a decent discount on the yearly subscription.

John

Comment

From a cybersecurity standpoint, you're better off avoiding public WiFi (unless you have a VPN installed). If you've got coverage and not pushing the limits of your data plan, I think cellular is more convenient than dealing with public WiFi.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I think I will start with my mini and see how it works.

Then, I think I will look at an iPad with cellular for the GPS, but may not use cellular. I can hot spot off my phone. If I use public wifi, I have Express VPN on all my devices.

I am thinking about trying Basic and see where my needs go. Memory will be nice, but most of my flying will be within the state.

Mainly flying 182, some with Garmin 1000 glass panels. Some 172 time. And later a GA-8.

Comment

Cool news, it seems I get the Military Pro package for FREE. But it seems without approach plates. I think I can purchase directly from Jepp when I get there.

Cheaper flying, some free flying, and free ForeFlight. CAP is looking better and better

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
                From a cybersecurity standpoint, you're better off avoiding public WiFi (unless you have a VPN installed). If you've got coverage and not pushing the limits of your data plan, I think cellular is more convenient than dealing with public WiFi.
                Indeed. I just got back from a series of long rides on AMTRAK. They have wifi in every car. Each car uses a single phone connection, so it's really slow. They block VPN connections as well as websites they don't seem to recognize, such as Tageschau and Deutsche Welle (very reputable German news sites).

My laptop, in addition to Ethernet and wifi, has cellular capability, which I put to the test on the trips. With T-Mobile and VPN*, my laptop performed much better than other devices connected to AMTRAK wifi.

It is also more reliable in some cases. Puttering along on an electric line (Northeast Corridor, the train cuts power to HVAC and wifi at random moments, forcing you into all the connection folderol, including Terms and Conditions, repeatedly. My cell reception was sometimes weak or nonexistent while the train's stayed up, but I can live with that.

*Anything which required a logon went phone/VPN from my laptop.
                Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
                  Thanks for the input.

I think I will start with my mini and see how it works.

Then, I think I will look at an iPad with cellular for the GPS, but may not use cellular. I can hot spot off my phone. If I use public wifi, I have Express VPN on all my devices.

I am thinking about trying Basic and see where my needs go. Memory will be nice, but most of my flying will be within the state.

Mainly flying 182, some with Garmin 1000 glass panels. Some 172 time. And later a GA-8.
                  Terry - My new mini arrives today. Bought the Cell-enabled mini so that it has GPS...I don't need it in the a/c with ADS-B In, but outside of the a/c it is useful with wx radar and some other applications. I have the mini mostly for teaching (heavily C172), I can use the full size in the 210 but usually don't have it mounted anywhere...don't need it with all the installed equipment. I pull it out as need (hey, what was that I passed over on the ground, or, playing with reroutes for wx prior to asking ATC for something different).

Comment

Thanks Scott. My mini is older, but does have cellular. So I will see how things go with that to start.

I can get a wifi only full sized for not much money if I need bigger.

Comment

Another data point for you: I have had the 10.5" iPad Pro for four years now and have not yet found myself wishing for anything larger (or smaller) in the airplane. And 256 GB has been far more than adequate--I only use about 50GB total with Basic Plus and Synthetic Vision ($125).

But here is a point about the iPad I learned the hard way. I only carry the iPad on my lap or on the seat next to me, and in either position it is sometime surprisingly difficult to keep the screen out of direct sunlight. And that is a problem because the iPad heats up quickly in direct sunlight and then dims or blacks out entirely, while also depleting the battery at a rapid clip.

I devised a third world solution for this problem with a shield I made out of cardboard. It's not elegant, but neither am I. :-)
                      Last edited by Mark Horak; 10-03-2021, 18:32.

Comment

Thanks Scott. My mini is older, but does have cellular. So I will see how things go with that to start.

I can get a wifi only full sized for not much money if I need bigger.
                        I flew a trip, about 6.5 total, in the last 4-5 days, and really like the Mini gen 6 both for the airplane size and speed of processor, and for being a good substitute for the laptop I usually carry for use on the ground. I think my mini will probably replace my full size ipad and I'll use it for a full week out west starting this weekend. My Gen 5 Mini that I bought used had some deteriorating battery issues and thus wasn't as robust.

Comment

A related question, recommendations for a yoke mount for a mini?

Comment

It may be somewhat aircraft dependent, Terry. Some folks think highly of the Mygopilot mounts. I haven’t any experience with a mini mount.

Comment

A related question, recommendations for a yoke mount for a mini?
                              If you have to do touch/tap/swipe stuff, a yoke mount might be really awkward in non-smooth air. I flew IFR with a small clipboard strapped to my right (same side as writing hand) thigh. It was where I scribbled clearances and stashed relevant approach/arrival plates. Writing in flight, e.g. new frequency assignment, was easy. I can easily imagine your favorite fondleslab mounted to such. Thigh and hand would tend to bounce in sync, and would not be affected by movement of any flight control. You could also rest the heel of your hand below the device to gain steadiness.

That also solves aircraft type dependencies.
                              Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Working...
                              X