End Around Taxiways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End Around Taxiways

KDFW is getting a new End Around Taxiway (EAT). I wasn't sure what it was until I saw the video. Are EATs a safety and efficiency upgrade, I'm not sure?

I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
    48th AHC 1971-72

I would hope that part of it means having a EMAS at the end of the runway to prevent an overrun from crossing the taxiway. Even so, I still have to wonder about the possibility of an airplane that's unable to gain altitude to clear the jet crossing under it. It's possible that they've crunched the numbers and decided while it's not impossible, it's extremely rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post
      KDFW is getting a new End Around Taxiway (EAT). I wasn't sure what it was until I saw the video. Are EATs a safety and efficiency upgrade, I'm not sure?

https://simpleflying.com/dfw-airport...roundbreaking/
      As a safety measure, it only works if everyone rolls to the end. In which case it fails as an efficiency measure with everyone rolling out a 13,000' runway at 30 knots... and back. {EDIT: I suppose it doesn't have to effect the runway acceptance rate if everyone exits at normal locations onto the parallel in the wrong direction. Still means verry long taxi routes. ]

Odd that the article includes several illustrations, but not one of the actual topic:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	25.4 KB ID:	24120
      Last edited by B.Butler; 04-03-2023, 10:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
        an airplane that's unable to gain altitude to clear the jet crossing under it. It's possible that they've crunched the numbers and decided while it's not impossible, it's extremely rare.
        I'd think a greater concern would be the screaming of the passengers on the side facing the arriving aircraft. .

Comment

Originally posted by B.Butler View Post

As a safety measure, it only works if everyone rolls to the end.
          I'm not sure as I understand. (There is a video in the Tweet on the article that illustrates it). I do agree they have a longer route having to go around rather than a more direct route with stops.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post

I'm not sure as I understand. (There is a video in the Tweet on the article that illustrates it).

I missed the tweet on first view, but while it does show what the ground tracks might be, the flows shown are pretty unrealistic. They've put a lot .time and money into this, so it must be an improvement. Can't think of another place that has that kind of real estate to spare.

Denver does, but we designed the crossings out of it in the initial "swastika."
            Last edited by B.Butler; 04-03-2023, 14:40.

Comment

CDG might work; seems to have the real estate, but they,in Gallic fashion, put the long runways on the inboard sides!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	24131
              Last edited by B.Butler; 04-03-2023, 23:50.

Comment

xx
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	24133

Comment

Originally posted by B.Butler View Post

I'd think a greater concern would be the screaming of the passengers on the side facing the arriving aircraft. .
                  Yep. That's for real. Saw it in action holding short for landing traffic at PHL. There was a honking crosswind, so the A/C on final was crabbed toward us. Several pax frightened at seeing the nose straight on, not noticing the crabbed flight path. Luckily, no general panic.
                  Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Working...
                  X