SLLP-SLVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLLP-SLVR

About to reposition from SLLP to SLVR. Because of weight restrictions the aircraft will be flown to SLVR to be refueled for the flight back to KDFW.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SLLP.jpg Views:	1 Size:	149.9 KB ID:	3829
    Last edited by Bill Bridges; 05-09-2018, 21:03.
    I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
    48th AHC 1971-72

Stay out of the red...

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post
      SLLP to SLVR........ KDFW
      Only one I recogize there is Dallas-Fort Worth, would'ja mind telling me what're those other ones with the S's? That weight restriction bit made me recall back flying out'a LaPaz (13,498') with hi-blower takeoffs in our DC-6Bs at LAB.

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post

Only one I recogize there is Dallas-Fort Worth, would'ja mind telling me what're those other ones with the S's? That weight restriction bit made me recall back flying out'a LaPaz (13,498') with hi-blower takeoffs in our DC-6Bs at LAB.

best, randy
        SLLP - El Alto (LPB) in La Paz, Bolivia. AMSL Elev, 13,325

SLVR - Viru Viru (VVI) in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. SLVR replaced El Trompillo. AMSL Elev, 1,225.
        I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
        48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post

SLLP - El Alto (LPB) in La Paz......SLVR - Viru Viru (VVI) in Santa Cruz
          Ah so, gracias! Interesting stories from days gone by about both places, one about a takeoff I'd made out'a LaPaz once and my gear retract mechanism failed, by the time I got it overridden, I could swear that that grazing Llama's eyes in that herd off the far end of the runway had blue eyes!

Other was during one of their periodic revolutions where my DC-6B crew and I got (inadvertantly) involved in a gunbattle deal down there in Santa Cruz.

best, randy

Comment

Randy,

The easy way to decode airport IDs is with Google. Just Google "SLLP airport". I use it all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry sreyoB View Post
              easy way to decode airport IDs is....."SLLP
              As the locals up here are wont to mutter - "Uff-dah". Thinking about "El Alto" made me recall having supper with an interesting guy down there at the "Clooob Ahlemaan" in LaPaz (Ray, iz'zat about correct for "German Club"?) Anyhow, a l-o-n-g conversation during that meal during a LAB layover about his time as s Nazi duing WWII and how he and many of his cohorts traveled to Bolivia and SA afterwards.

best, randy

Comment

Ray, iz'zat about correct for "German Club"?
                Dunno why you're asking me about Spanish, but "Club Alemán" is the correct spelling. You got the sound right, though. My Spanish is very limited. You have a much larger Spanish vocabulary than I do.

Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post
                  (Ray, iz'zat about correct for "German Club"?)
                  What Ray said. Alemanni is what the Romans called the original Germans...Allemagne is the French word for Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post

You got the sound right, though
                    Ah-so, good, cuz that's what I was tryin' to do. I remember them saying it sorta like that as "Clooooob Ahlemahn". Like I'd said - interesting days and people! I think - THINK - that I meb'be wrote an article once about a bunch of Germans that got into a taxicab at the terminal and left ahead of us, Art always made sure that
                    we sorta pre-flighted the taxi before we got in (tires, brakes, etc.) for the trip down to the Cuidad. Airport was 13,470' and IIRC, the downtown area was around 11,000'. Anyhow, we left and could see them w-a-y ahead of us going down the switchback road/hills. Brakes musta failed or something bad like that, end over end and a big cloud of dust, nobody survived.

best, randy ( I remember thinking more than once - "I was hired at North Central to fly DC-3 co-pilot out to Rapid City and back, what in the h--- am I doing down here in SA on DC-6s?")

Comment

Working...
                    X