Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
    Very strange.

This morning, I could not get into the forum with my VPN running, but I could without the VPN.

And I am on Comcast.
    Looks as if routing table corruption may be spreading. I can get here, and as of this morning, to gocomics.com only via VPN. However, via VPN, the Associated Press web site does not load its embdded images. If I go to AP directly throug Comcast (no VPN), the AP front page loads correctly.
    Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post

Looks as if routing table corruption may be spreading. I can get here, and as of this morning, to gocomics.com only via VPN. However, via VPN, the Associated Press web site does not load its embdded images. If I go to AP directly throug Comcast (no VPN), the AP front page loads correctly.
      Is it router tables or DNS? Try changing DNS manually to 8.8.8.8 (that’s a Google public DNS). I that fixes it, leave it there

I can give specific steps on “how” to do that for a Mac. For Winders, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Franklin View Post
        Is it router tables or DNS?
        DNS resolves the name to an IP address. I get the same IP address on working systems and broken systems.

Cloudflare had a major outage Sunday. I have to wonder if our problems was early signs of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Franklin View Post

Is it router tables or DNS? Try changing DNS manually to 8.8.8.8 (that’s a Google public DNS). I that fixes it, leave it there

I can give specific steps on “how” to do that for a Mac. For Winders, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
          DNS seems fine. The failure message (Firefox) is "The site is taking too long to respond", and the name appears in the browser tab, which is an indication DNS worked. Usually, a DNS failure is "We're having trouble finding that site". My DNS is set to 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9. The site connection issues are the same whether I use my Acrylic DNS proxy or not. Using Google's 8.8.8.8 would defeat some of my ability to block Google's omnipresent data theft.

(Acrylic saves me a lot of host file entries. I can block with wildcards, e.g. *facebook*, and *twitter*. I block those and the various Google/Doublelcick analytics that way.)

Comment

Just wondering if anyone still has any problems. It's working for me now.

Comment

I haven't been able to get into 'Sig-III for days on end. I was about ready to send Mike an email to ask if it was DOA.

Comment

Steph, did it come back for you spontaneously or are you coming through someone else's system or a VPN? I'm still using a VPN, and can't hit it otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
                  Steph, did it come back for you spontaneously or are you coming through someone else's system or a VPN? I'm still using a VPN, and can't hit it otherwise.
                  It came back spontaneously. My ISP is ComBastards, which seems to be a common issue for the 'Sig. I didn't think of trying to get here via a VPN.

Comment

Apparently there was a major “transit provider” issue on Sunday that affected a lot of sites. No idea if that’s related to this issue or not. https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/30/tech/...are/index.html

Comment

Right now is the first time it has worked for me without VPN in about a week. However, I do see a "good day" (or hour) sometimes. Time will tell.

Comment

Right now is the first time it has worked for me without VPN in about a week.
                        Yep, came on for me too. And a traceroute says it got here through the same Texas server where it was dying before, so it looks like good news.

Comment

...aaand, dead again. Back on the VPN.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
                            ...aaand, dead again. Back on the VPN.
                            Same here -- back to VPN.

Comment

Same here -- back to VPN.
                              Ditto. Quit working at work, still works at home.

Comment

Same here. I couldn't log in until I switched over to a VPN.

Comment

Working...
                                X