Computer Log Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With an electronic logbook, how do you handle instructor endorsements? Bias disclosure: I tried an early electronic logbook, and strongly prefer paper. Same for reading material.
    Geology rocks, but geography is where it's at.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
      With an electronic logbook, how do you handle instructor endorsements? Bias disclosure: I tried an early electronic logbook, and strongly prefer paper. Same for reading material.
      The iPad allows for a “finger” or Apple Pencil signature.

We have the opposite bias: I have enough paper books to fill one small box (all sentimental value / gifts / author signed). Otherwise I’m pure Kindle and/or Audible.com audiobooks.

Comment

I started dual logging to paper and ForeFlight throughout 2016, and stopped logging on paper at the start of 2017. Exclusively ForeFlight since. I love it. My students as well as local DPEs are happy too.

The ForeFlight app has a bunch of built-in endorsements. You can even do them remotely if you and your student both have ForeFlight. My last instrument student had one messed up endorsement when he was reviewing paperwork with his DPE, so he shot over the item, I signed it remotely and shot it back. Saved the mad scramble to meet them in person.

Flights are logged graphically too, so I use those in post-flight reviews. ForeFlight will also query the user if they want to include any photos taken during the flight into the logbook entry.

Foreflight also has a variety of canned reports, as well as a CSV-file export capability.

ForeFlight's digital logbook on iPad, iPhone, and the web makes it easy for pilots to log flights, track currency, and record certificates and ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by John O'Shaughnessy [FCM] View Post
          You can even do them remotely if you and your student both have ForeFlight.[/url]
          See, that’s handy. I did my flight review/IPC over several days, and the instructor had a flight booked right after one of them so ”he’ll log it next time” - hasn’t happened yet :/

Comment

I use SafeLog also.

Main reason I started with them was they were able to translate my AeroLog files to their format to input. So I did not have retype all my entries.

It works well. I did find one bug where it did not filter properly with multiple filters. Like trying to filter for all Retractable Cessna time. Never heard if they fixed that.

I did find I lost 2 years of flying as I was using paper primarily, with AeroLog as secondary, when I got around to it. The paper logbook was lost in the crash and I was about 2 years behind is updating AeroLog. I was able to recreate some of the flying from knowing I went to Oshkosh and Sun n Fun each twice in the T-34. And some idea about my fuel stops.

Comment

I did the transfer from SafeLog over to ForeFlight this weekend.

SafeLog is the “better” logbook in terms of features… map view, TONS of reports, etc.

But - ForeFlight has “enough” info, and it’s far more convenient to use. I can easily convert a Flight into a log entry with a few taps, and of course I’m already paying for it so it eliminates the subscription to SafeLog.

Some great memories in those logs, as for anyone of course. But in particular to AvSig… flying an A36 with Rick Durden out of GRR in 2005… going to a talk by Ken Dahlberg (WWII ace and Watergate figure, among many other things ) with Randy Sohn in Feb 2009… the 2009 AVL mini-gig with John Gaitskill and Ralph Hood, both no longer with us… Dave Gwinn’s funeral… four Oshkosh fly-ins from 2006 to 2009… great experiences in those 1,200 hours!
              Last edited by Sean Franklin; 10-13-2024, 21:00.

Comment

Working...
              X