Swinging your compass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swinging your compass

Has it always been forbidden for an owner operator to swing the compass? I don't recall so. At least in the 70's when I learned to fly it was allowed. I thought anyway. Maybe they changed that rule along the way? Funny I could have sworn it was ok. Just failed that question on the latest AvFlash Quiz.

Originally posted by Patty Haley View Post
    Has it always been forbidden for an owner operator to swing the compass? I don't recall so. At least in the 70's when I learned to fly it was allowed. I thought anyway. Maybe they changed that rule along the way? Funny I could have sworn it was ok. Just failed that question on the latest AvFlash Quiz.
    Patty -- It's been that way since at least the 80s when I started....but you're older than I am. <g,d,r> ;-)

Comment

Thank you Scott. Here is additional info about A&P's being able to swing a compass, Its an adjustment, noit a repair, so they can do so. https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/comm...can-not.10906/ I suppose if a person has a repairmans certicate and because they built 51% or more of an aircraft, they cou;d then swing a compass.
      Last edited by Patty Haley; 03-29-2019, 02:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Patty Haley View Post
        Just failed that question on the latest AvFlash Quiz.
        Hi Patty,
        The Compass Deviation Card in one yellow aeroplane that I’m aware of:

For / Steer
        N / 352°
        030° / 352°
        060° / 352°
        E / 352°
        120° / 352°
        150° / 352°
        S / 352°
        210° / 352°
        240° / 352°
        W / 352°
        300° / 352°
        330° / 352°

Regards,
        Tom Charlton (How in the dickens did he ever get his Cub from KSEE to 48X?)
        (Ok . . . he does have that one automotive compass suction-cupped to the windshield)
        "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
          Tomasina - and in another one that I'm aware of : "WHAT compass?"

best, randy

Comment

Is that airplane based at the South Pole?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry sreyoB View Post
              Is that airplane based at the South Pole?
              Hi Larry,
              Nope, Just a slightly magnetized steel fuel tank about two inches in front of the whisky compass. <grin>

Regards,
              Tom Charlton

"The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post
                Tomasina - and in another one that I'm aware of : "WHAT compass?"
                Hi Captain Sohn,

Maybe I need some of that “ADS-B” in –n– out paraphernalia in da Cub? <g>

Regards,
                Tom Charlton

Comment

compass
                  Compass? WHAT compass!

best, randy

Comment

Too funny Randy!

Comment

Tom, if Patty chooses to swing her compass, who's to know?

Comment

Originally posted by Ward Miller View Post
                        Tom, if Patty chooses to swing her compass, who's to know?
                        Hi Ward,
                        May all be for naught anywho. It’s been postulated the earth’s magnetic poles may be about to flip.
                        https://phys.org/news/2018-12-earth-...oles-flip.html
                        Everyone’s compass will run amuck. Likely mine will still be good with 352°?

Regards,
                        Tom Charlton

Comment

Likely mine will still be good with 352°?
                          Toe-mas, gotta tell'ya tho, in my present Stearman/Cub world, someone (God meb'be?) made section lines!

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post
                            someone (God meb'be?) made section lines!
                            Recon it was some of those obsessive, perfectionist, Scandihovians from your neck of the woods. Fortunately we got-em section lines here also. Great navigational aid. Plus we’ve got an ocean on either side of Florida to let us know we done gone too far!

Regards,
                            Tom Charlton

Comment

Anyone can swing a compass... whether you can sign off a new deviation card may be a separate issue... but if an owner wants to verify the card, swing the compass!

I like Barry Schiff's taxi around a big ramp using GPS heading to check the compass method.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X