Instrument approaches on I-pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrument approaches on I-pad

Is it legal to fly on instruments and make instrument approaches using the I-Pad v something like a Garmin 530? I have someone not updating the Garmin data cards because they use ForeFlight with an I -Pad. Scratching head.

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
    Is it legal to fly on instruments and make instrument approaches using the I-Pad v something like a Garmin 530? I have someone not updating the Garmin data cards because they use ForeFlight with an I -Pad. Scratching head.
    Refer him to AIM 1-2-3. b.

Comment

Thanks. I’ll look at that!

Comment

He can do what he wants, but if there is an issue, they'll say he was not using approved equipment. So in the casual sense, what he is doing is not legal for approaches.

I use the iPad with ForeFlight (and current charts) all the time, but if I'm flying an approach I'm looking at the needles in the panel, which are driven by the certified and tested Garmin 650 with current database cards installed and approved in the aircraft.

I do occasionally set up and fly the approaches (in VFR conditions with a safety pilot) on the iPad, just to see if I can do it -- but it would be an emergency/equipment failure situation before I would choose to use them.
        Last edited by John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]; 03-10-2020, 16:19.

Comment

Thanks John. There’s some arrogance involved. When one tries to nicely point something out; he knows more (in his opinion).

Comment

Thanks John. There’s some arrogance involved. When one tries to nicely point something out; he knows more (in his opinion).
            An arrogant pilot? I've never heard of such a thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Gorrell View Post

All to often we get to read about them.
              😞
              I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
              48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Gorrell View Post

About 7 years ago, when I was flying out of your favorite airport mOnroe, NC. The guy I worked for had 2 King Airs. The 300 had an older GPS, worked fine KLN 90B, the other, a 90 model had no GPS. One day he lands in the 90 during that extended time when the ILS was out... I asked him how he got in with the weather as it was, he said he shot the GPS, on his I Pad! I told it that was maybe not such a good idea. He didn't see any problem with it, not sure if he did it again or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hartmann View Post

About 7 years ago, when I was flying out of your favorite airport mOnroe, NC. The guy I worked for had 2 King Airs. The 300 had an older GPS, worked fine KLN 90B, the other, a 90 model had no GPS. One day he lands in the 90 during that extended time when the ILS was out... I asked him how he got in with the weather as it was, he said he shot the GPS, on his I Pad! I told it that was maybe not such a good idea. He didn't see any problem with it, not sure if he did it again or not.
                  You would think after what happened with Rick the word would have gotten out.
                  I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
                  48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

I sent Larry’s cite to the fella and he’s completely discounted it.
                    initial response:
                    Yes, they are certified for international navigation and to shoot actual approaches. You can even fly the North Atlantic Tracks with them.
                    when I sent Larry’s cite, the response was:

AIM is not the actual Code of Federal Regulations; it is only parts of it. You have to go very deep into the Code to find the connection but it is there. Here is the link to Summit Aviation. They are THE ABSOLUTE knowledge base of Aviation. On every one of their discs is a copy of The Constitution. EVERYTHING comes from that document; and the Declaration of Independence.

Since I’m not an instructor and not his Uncle, I just left it there. I feel a need to help him understand, but I'm not making any headway.
                    Last edited by Dave Siciliano; 03-11-2020, 11:40.

Comment

Moving off topic a bit, I had a pro pilot scare the bejesus out of me demoing a plane. 15,000 hour instructor. Couldn't get the loc or GS centered on an ILS at one place and had the entire approach suspend at another. Luckily, ceilings weren't at minimums and he was able to break out visually. Great stick but simply didn't know the boxes or how to fly them. I sympathize with folks flying a lot of different planes with different avionics, but for heaven's sake, know enough to make a safe approach when taking passengers. He was embarrassed but when I suggested he really get to know those boxes before flying IMC again, I didn't get any response. I offered to go up with him VFR if he wanted to practice. No response. I really worry about folks with this approach to flying.

Comment

Since I’m not an instructor and not his Uncle, I just left it there. I feel a need to help him understand, but I'm not making any headway.
                        Have you considered letting him go as a student?

Comment

I’ve chatted with a couple folks and have decided to move on. If he asks, I’ll respond.

Comment

Here's an example of one of the reasons you don't use iPads for navigation.

Notice how the iPad is showing us off course in both images. We were not. We were exactly on course as indicated on our legally TSOd long-range navigation system.

If we were trying to fly the procedure via the iPad, we would have been off course.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Larry: I've had them completely shut down when using them for charts; not navigation. I carry two. Situation awareness and charts is what I refer to them for, but we had a Garmin 430 a 530 both WAAS and a GMX 200. With current data bases I might add.

Comment

Working...
                              X