Instrument approaches on I-pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, there's no way to know that the iPad's accuracy is not within the required navigation performance for the route flown. People like you 'friend', just assume that GPS is always perfect. It isn't.

Comment

you 'friend',.... I know you meant Your 'friend'...

Comment

Originally posted by Larry sreyoB View Post
        Also, there's no way to know that the iPad's accuracy is not within the required navigation performance for the route flown. People like you 'friend', just assume that GPS is always perfect. It isn't.
        When we use the ipad in our Mooney it's getting its position through the Garmin transponder which is getting its position information from our WAAS GNS430W. So the position accuracy there is just as good as what our flight instruments are using for navigation. Others who are using the internal GPS in the ipad won't have as much accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Alson View Post
          When we use the ipad in our Mooney it's getting its position through the Garmin transponder which is getting its position information from our WAAS GNS430W. So the position accuracy there is just as good as what our flight instruments are using for navigation. Others who are using the internal GPS in the ipad won't have as much accuracy.
          If you have a WAAS GPS navigator you wouldn't need to fly an approach with just an iPad. Not sure I understand why someone with certified navigator would navigate with the iPad.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Alson View Post

Andy,

Is the Ipad a certified part of the instrument package?
            I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
            48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Of course the ipad isn't certified as an instrument. I was only commenting on the accuracy of it's position information in the app, not whether it could be used as the sole navigation source.

And as to Larry's response, the situation posited was that the GPS unit in the plane didn't have a current database and therefore couldn't be used for approach navigation, so use the ipad. Not that the certified GPS in the plane wasn't giving accurate position data.

Comment

Working...
              X