Terminology change?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Terminology change?

    Showing my age here...

    I just watched a video where BOS tower told flights to "line up and wait."

    I haven't been active for a while, and "position and hold" was the normal instruction back in the day.

    Sorry if this is an old weather-beaten topic, but I'm curious about the change.

  • #2
    It changed about ten years ago to put US phraseology in compliance with ICAO phraseology.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Dave, nice to see your name here. I was thinking about you and your Cherokee 6 a little bit ago as I have a client with one of those.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Larry sreyoB View Post
        It changed about ten years ago to put US phraseology in compliance with ICAO phraseology.
        I'm guessing that metric altimeters are coming to an airspace near you, one of these days. (Still disliking the change to using Celsius in weather reporting.)

        Comment


        • #5
          September 30th, 2010, to be exact. https://www.faa.gov/airports/runway_...t_events/lauw/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by John O'Shaughnessy [FCM] View Post
            Wow John, it seems like we just started doing that just the other day. ROFL
            I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
            48th AHC 1971-72

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post

              Wow John, it seems like we just started doing that just the other day. ROFL
              I was just thinking that. Ten years already?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Stephanie Belser View Post

                I'm guessing that metric altimeters are coming to an airspace near you, one of these days. (Still disliking the change to using Celsius in weather reporting.)
                A friend refers to it as that damn French weather.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Stephanie Belser View Post
                  Still disliking the change to using Celsius in weather reporting.
                  Well, it's not like we don't have company in the Fahrenheit world. There's Liberia, Myanmar, and -- ummm...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    >>Liberia, Myanmar, and -- ummm...<<

                    Cayman Islands, Antigua, Barbuda, Saint Kitts, Nevis, Bahamas, Belize, Micronesia, Palau, .....
                    Each an industrial powerhouse....<g>

                    I don't know about Myanmar.... ...looks like they have gone over the hill, if not officially...

                    Reams

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X